Chapter 1: On Deck

I'm sick of the way you treat me... Using me like I'm some kind of servant, and always letting out your anger and grief on me.

I lost her too, but it's ridiculous how you turned yourself into a monster just because you couldn't move on. You say you lost everything when she died, but what about me?! Have I been nothing to you this entire time?!

It's like you jumped into a pool of despair and don't even intend to leave. I tried to pull you out of the water, I tried so hard, but you wouldn't budge. It's pathetic. If you won't even put in the effort to see that, then I don't want to be here anymore.

Unlike you, I'll try to live to the fullest. Whether you like it or not...

I got woken up by the repeated ringing of a bell, the same sound that I hear every morning for the past three months since I started working on this fishing boat I'm currently in. Following the noise is the faint sound of footsteps coming from above and in the room I slumber in. Just like the rest of the crew, I pulled myself out of bed and sat down, noticing the ache on my back, I did a quick stretch. The sleep I had last night is officially one of the worst that I have ever had, the smell of fish and salt water reeks on everything, and the never ending rocking of the boat results to constant headaches, nevertheless, I'm starting to get used to waking up like this.

Besides, I can't give myself the right to complain. I consider myself lucky to even have a place to sleep in at this point, a place that's way better than where I was three months prior. At least here, I have way more freedom, and I can finally work for myself.

I successfully got myself ready and climbed up the stairs that lead up to the deck, where our captain was waiting for us with the same stern and determined look. The look that shows the rest of us that he's in charge.

"Alright crew, today might be the day we get the chance to get a good catch. The season has only begun, so you all know well enough that I don't want to spot anyone slacking off." Captain's voice booms across the deck filled with more than a dozen of people who work for him, his voice, loud enough that I could hear him from where I stood at the back of the crowd

He then goes on to once again remind us of the agenda we follow everyday; survey the waters and observe the weather, monitor the fishing nets and keeping those and every other tools and equipment on the ship in good condition. Just like that, we start our day of catching fish.

A lot of people would think that fishing is just as simple as riding a boat then throwing a net into the water, but in reality, it's no picnic. In order to have a successful and abundant catch, you will have to be attentive and also very patient, as fishing is really time consuming. In addition to that, we will have to make sure that the boat continuously functions properly so we don't sink or get stranded. On top of that, the fish we catch will have to be stored properly so we can sell them in the best quality possible.

I am mostly assigned to setting up the nets and traps into the water and storage, but occasionally, I also get involved in cleaning.

The day went by and I focused on finishing my own errands, I don't exactly socialize with the rest of the crew, mainly because I don't feel the need to do so. It's not like I'm isolated from everyone else though, I'm aware of everyone's names and I cooperate with them whenever we need team effort for certain tasks, which happens quite often. I just don't interact with them that much outside of work.