Chapter 2: The Odd One

Another day has been accomplished with hard work and another has come once again. Just like my calculation yesterday, we were able to reach the amount of fish on our agenda and we are currently heading back to solid land a few hours before midday. A certain blabbermouth still insisted on buying me food if we manage to make it before 1 in the afternoon, since he can't save his own money, I decided to do it for him by convincing him to get me some snacks instead of anything fancy.

We spent the entire morning storing and keeping an eye on the large amount of fish we caught, placing traps away, and cleaning. As usual, Hayato was such a nuisance about socializing with him and everyone else, so I ended up hanging out with the group during lunch break. Even though they were loud and the games they played were a bit of a nonsense, I actually had fun, at some point, I was able to relate and join in on one of their conversation topics.

Oh how much I hope everyday would just be as blissfully simple as this.

Unfortunately, just when I thought today would go smoothly, I was mopping the deck with a few others when something caught my eye. Every time we pass this part of the sea, I often end up seeing the same anomaly. About more than 12 miles away from the boat is an embodiment of abnormal, it's hideous body submerged in the water is the size of a long boat, large mouths plastered all over the surface. Countless purplish-blue arms sticking out of it, reaching out above the water. I froze once I caught a glimpse of it, afraid of what it would do if I moved a muscle.

It felt like a millennia passed until finally, it submerged under the water and disappeared, hopefully far, far away from here.

This isn't my first time seeing whatever that thing was, but every time I do, whirlpools form in my stomach. I swear I could hear a faint sound of screaming and raspy breathes, hearing it always managed to give me a headache, even from a far distance. The brief presence of that-- thing, bothered me so much that another crew mate had to snap me back to reality. After reassuring them that I was okay, we continued our work as if nothing happened

Why I can see creatures like that and what they actually are has always been a mystery to me, what's even worse is that it seems that I'm the only one who can see it. Whenever we pass by its 'territory', none of the other crew mates paid any attention to it, that was enough for me to confirm that I'm the only odd one on this boat.

It has always been that way my entire life, since I was a kid, I can see things that others can't. When I was still at school, I would occasionally spot smaller ones in classrooms and even more in the girl's bathrooms. Each one with their own color, shape and size, nevertheless, those always disgusted me as a kid.

 For multiple times, I tried to convince other people such things exist, begged for help and comfort from adults. But all of them reacted the same, they all thought I was just bluffing, worse, crazy. The best that I could do now is to keep to myself and ignore such creatures, pretend I'm like everybody else. Luckily, so far it has worked, aside from seeing creatures from horror movies come to life, I don't get harmed.

"What did you just say?!"

Just when I wished this day would go smoothly, it just HAD to get worse.

Standing between me and three scumbags, who were harassing me moments ago, is Kenji Isamu. He may be smaller and years younger than me, but he is ridiculously bold and courageous.

"You heard me! BACK . OFF." he bitterly snaps at them, further proving my point that he is one of the bravest people I know. When he saw that they weren't leaving us alone anytime soon, he took a small step forward and blocking me with his arm.

"Step aside kid, we're just trying to talk with the pretty lady." one of them say with an annoying tone in their voice with impatience laced over it as well. These idiots aren't the first people who tried to take advantage of me, and the fact that I'm the only girl on board isn't helping at all.

Despite his command, Isamu didn't falter, instead, he looked at them with spite and disgust. It was now obvious that the men in front of us are starting to get angry, when one of them was about to speak again, I immediately took action. I'm not about to make myself look like a damsel in distress when I'm the complete opposite. Don't get me wrong though, I appreciate Isamu for defending me, but everyone else should also be aware that I can hold my own in a situation like this.

"Well? You guys aren't deaf, are you?" I mock them as I place a hand on the young boy's shoulder, displaying the same disgust and urge to punch one of them in the face. "Back off before I make you regret even looking at my direction." I stood tall, staring into their eyes threateningly, for a moment, I was scared that they won't leave. But suddenly, I could hear familiar voices coming from the other side of the deck, when I turned around, other crew mates were in site, including Hayato.

"Hey," One of the newcomers noticed us and spoke. "is everything okay there?"

I saw one of the guys in front of us flinch, for a moment, all of them hesitated to speak.

"Y- yeah, everything's fine." After that, the group of creeps walked away.

I let out a breathe I didn't realize I was holding, and I felt Isamu loosen up under my hand.

"Thank you, Isamu-kun." I whispered to the little boy and gave him a soft smile of appreciation.

This made Isamu grin like a kid in Christmas, finally dropping the intimidating stature he was displaying, happiness and color back on his face. "No problem, Aya-senpai!" he eagerly replies. "They probably won't mess with you for now, but we'll still need to report this to the captain."

"I agree." I said before holding my hand up into a fist and Isamu bumps it with his own. "They must be new too, if I remember correctly, they only started working here the other day."

Isamu hums in agreement after realizing my assumption was correct, "I think so, because if they were old-timers, then they would've know better than to mess with you. I would've preferred seeing you kick their asses though."

I let out a chuckle then ruffled the little dudes hair, somehow, he ended up like a little brother to me, "Language, kid." I say playfully, making Isamu raise a brow at me, "But yeah, I agree, although I still think it's better to stay out of trouble."

"Agree to disagree."

One thing's for sure about me though, I'm not on my own, and I'm grateful for that. Not everyone can get this lucky.

TO BE CONTINUED

**minor changes have been applied**