Chapter Two

(please comment and vote)

+ + +

"Oh, stop by Dot's before you get home." Charlie said to Clary as the siblings approached their apartment complex. It was more of a two story building, if they were being honest, but they never really cared much for a thing like details.

"Are you not going to say "hi" to Dot?"

"Baby sister, i need sleep."

"I forgot you were ancient."

"ANCIENT!?" Charlie's voice bellowed in the Brooklyn air, its sound rebounding off the walls of buildings and almost swallowing Clary whole. It held a slightly higher pitch to it and it was full of disbelief. "Clarissa Fray you better apologise."

"For...?" Clary feigned innocence before she chuckled and walked into the building, smiling at the woman that was behind the counter.

"I don't even- Dot, don't give her your present." Charlie playfully glared at Clary whilst he trudged up the stairs to get to their apartment, where his mother - Jocelyn - was waiting for him and Clary.

"How was the cafe?" Jocelyn asked her eldest child with a small wince, a tiny smile gracing her features. Her blue eyes widened a little as she watched the scowl be placed on Charlie's face.

"That boy is so hopelessly in love with her that it-" he sucked in a breath when he thought he heard a stair creak but he shook his head and continued. "It's sickening. I get dragged into it every-damn-time."

"Aw, my baby." Jocelyn pouted a little as she chuckled at Charlie before she continued as she was.

"Mom!"

"You did it!" Jocelyn exclaimed happily, the news of Clary's success had been shown to her via Simon's twitter account. "Yay!" The mother of two laughed happily, dropping the washing basket that was in hand down so that she could engulf her youngest child into a bone crushing hug. 

"You also follow Simon?"

"He only had ninety-two followers! He needs the retweets." The pair chuckled a little bit. "Congratulations." 

"Thank you. Hashtag, stalker mom." Clary replied with a bright smile on her face as she pulled away from Jocelyn's hugs, the feeling of relief and joy filling her soul for a moment. Charlie kept an eye on the box Jocelyn suddenly had grasped in her hand. It was similar to the one he had been gifted by his mother, to which made him squint his eyes in suspicion. He had a feeling that the heirloom he was given was not, in fact, a "late birthday present" and it was something to do with Clary.

"Happy birthday." Jocelyn softly spoke, however, lifting the box into Clary's line of sight. Her box, however, had a medium sized golden bow. Whilst the girls sat down on the sofa, Charlie hummed and walked towards his bedroom, ready to go to Simon's concert he was sure he needed a few drops of alcohol to positively witness. 

With a roll of his eyes, Charlie fished out a silver silk button up shirt and some jeans that were in top notch condition. He was swift to change into them, leaving a few of the top buttons undone in order to be able to show off his chest a little. He thought he looked hot. He then styled his hair with very little gel, only enough to give it a  bit of volume. Once he was done, he slipped on a pair of white sneakers and left his room, grabbing his phone on the way out.

Just as he did, he spotted Luke handing Clary a birthday present and he scowled to himself. He had forgotten to get his sister a gift. It wasn't the worst in the world as he did struggle with money, but he was given allowence by Jocelyn as her way to make sure he didn't get a job.