Chapter 9

Van had not the slightest idea what was happening to him. One moment he had been surrounded by this strange barrier the woman in front of him created the next moment he felt a stinging pain in his chest and her arms around his torse. She whispered something to him which he couldn't quite pick up, too loud were his screams of pain. And he was feeling so much right now. He didn't know he was able to feel that much emotion at the same time. It was tearing him apart. Something erupted from inside of him, he could feel his energy being gathered in his chest, right where the black haired woman rammed something against him. Whatever it was it was draining him out. He was losing his powers, his demon powers. Never had he felt weak like this before. But there was something else. A warmth that was slowly spreading inside of him. It was running over his skin and embracing him gently. Was it her touch?
''Van!''
It was her voice. But it sounded desperate and broken, she was crying.

''I believe you.''
''It wasn't your fault.''
''Can't you stay with me tonight?''
''Protect me.''
''You said you'll keep me safe. You promised to protect me!''
''Thank you. I was so scared that you wouldn't wake up.''
''I am not able to save you.''
''I don't want you to disappear either.''
With her voice came pictures, they were blurry at first but cleared up with more words he heard. He started to remember, remember her, remember them. Remember what he did. He remembered everything, how he met her, how he tried to find a way to save them both. How they both tried to stay alive and let their past mistakes go. She had been his anchor in a time when he didn't know he needed one and it broke his heart, if he ever had one, that one of them inevitably had to die so the other could live. He didn't know what she did or what exactly happened after he got sealed in her barrier but here he was, alive and well, in her arms. She was crying. The air between them was thick and the wind didn't make it better for him to say something. What was going on anyway? The last thing he remembered was that he was with Gungtan in this warehouse and his urge to kill. Kill her. His head started throbbing again when his memories of his demon self were more present again. He relived the moment where he fought with her, where he almost killed her. All the things he did to her, they were horrible. And all he always saw were her broken and sad eyes every time they were facing each other.

''I'm so sorry. I am sorry that I am not her.''
Another flashback of them in her room, where she was crying when she realized that she wouldn't be able to save Van no matter how hard she tried.

''If all lust demons are gone, what do you want to do then?''
He remembered their conversation at the small camp fire they made.

''How about we renew our contract. You should use your abilities to protect something rare, beautiful and precious.''
His mind was flooded with her, her small smiles she gave him, her honesty, her tears and fears.
''Something precious is closer than you think.''
His eyes opened and the light and wind around them was gone, he was able to breathe again. He looked around a bit unsure of the situation before his attention fell back to the woman in front of him who was still tightly holding on to him. Her grip was loosening though which made his one arm automatically wrap around her tiny waist and slowly sink down with her to the ground.

''Won Mi-Ho.''
Van carefully tugged some loose strands of hair that were covering half of her face behind her ear when she already opened her eyes. They deeply looked into each other's eyes, he had no idea what he should say. He knew he had been a monster these past days, everything he never wanted to be, everything he tried to keep locked up inside of him resurfaced and made him do horrible things. And yet here she was right in front of him looking at him like she always did, a few tears leaving her eyes.

''Van.''
She lifted her arm, carefully, maybe even a bit hesitant, placing her hand on his cheek which resulted only in more tears leaving her eyes.
''Is that really you?''
Was she that happy to see him? After all he did to her? He would be lying if he said he wasn't pleased at all to see her and remember her. So he did the only thing which he thought would be the right thing to do at that moment. He placed his hand over hers.
''Hm. It's really me.''
''So it worked....''
He was a bit confused what she meant but had no time to wrap his mind around it when he only could wrap his arms around her in shock. Mi-Ho fell around his neck in a mere second, crashing against him so hard that it made him lose balance and fall over as well, with her on top of him.