CHAPTER 3: A secret

"Tell me about Ara." Q asked curiously.

"She's crazy. She's a huge huge nerd, super smart, and crazyy rich." Min Ho said, putting emphasis on the "crazy". "When she's not running around the world with her ever changing new identities, she's a model, artist, and professional party host. When she comes back home everyone knows what's going to happen." When Q quirks an eyebrow, Min Ho grins. "Shit hits the fan of course," he said in his proper British accent.

"When was the last time you saw her?" Q asked as he sat on his suitcase. He struggled to pull the zipper all the way around the bursting luggage.

"You are aware that we are going for two days right?"

"I like to have options." Q shrugged.

Rolling his eyes in response, Min Ho answered, "5 years ago. And it was for a brief moment. Nothing more than a hug. But she's always been a phone call away and she's helped me grow so much."

Q smiled softly. "She sounds amazing. Now, let me see this private jet you've been going on about."

The ride to New York was seemingly uneventful. When they arrived it was 10pm and Min Ho immediately warned against going to the address sent to him by Ara.

"Why?"

"You can't go until the party is in full swing. We aren't the guests, we're the stars."

"Huh?" Before Q could respond, Min Ho whisked him away and together they walked to the shop Kitty told him to go to.

"We're here because?" Q asked, bored. His head was propped by his elbow as he eyed the pastries on display. Min Ho quieted him as his own excitement grew. He would never admit it, not even to himself, but the prospect of seeing Kitty again rekindled some kind of hope in him. His leg bounced up and down as he waited.

And then she walked in, redish hair and all. She smiled big as she walked through the glass doors and threw herself into Q's awaiting arms. After their greetings and all, Q gave a reluctant Min Ho a giant hug. "You did this for me?" He asked beaming. He knew what it meant for Min Ho to ask Kitty here. Not only did Min Ho not appreciate his feelings being known, but rejection crumbled his stoic facade. Q knew what it must've taken to reach out to her. Which is why he gave Min Ho another hug and groaned when Kitty hugged them both from behind.

The three walked around the city drinking in everything. To Min Ho, this was just another weekend, but Q looked at New York like it was an alien city, and in Kitty's words, "I could never get tired of this place there's just so much."

While they both stared at the lights and the buildings, Min Ho kept glancing over Kitty's eyes, hoping it was something discreet. Maybe it was all the light surrounding them, but her eyes held a sparkle within them that he didn't understand. But he wanted to. He wanted to figure out how she became so happy and joyful. How she glows from within. He wanted to figure out the secret so he could make her so happy all the time. So she could always shine.

Eventually the three hailed the cab and told the driver Ara's address. Min Ho winced internally at how he had barely said a word to Kitty all day. They would obviously all three have conversations but neither of them ever addressed one another. Instead leaving Q to be their mediator of sorts. It pained Min Ho to see their relationship go from being one of playful banter to something just shy of ignoring the other.

All words left all of their mouths however because they had just entered the best kept secret in the city. Gleaming spires shot out from the ground guiding their path to the most beautiful garden. Behind it was an even more majestic structure. It was not shaped like any building Min Ho knew of. It had odd obstructions coming out from all sides, and jagged corners shaped the main building throughout. Thousands of people, it seemed, milled around and even Min Ho knew that this year, Ara had outdone herself. And there she was, the woman herself, standing center stage in the garden's theater. She only stood there, observing all her guests, like she was their queen and they her loyal servants. In a matter of minutes Min Ho had pushed through the crowd in excitement and reached out to her, "Ara!"

She turned almost in slow motion, her short cropped back hair glinting in the lights and her disco ball dress blinding him. She was regal and yet informal. An enigma. "Min Ho!" She screamed, engulfing him in the tightest hug.

After he introduced Q and Kitty, Ara motioned Min Ho to follow her somewhere quiet. Suspicious, Min Ho unwillingly shooed away his friends and lost them in the crowd as he hurried after Ara. She swept through the crowd as they parted ways for her presence almost subconsciously. The confidence it took to do that was unparalleled.

They entered an office room together and suddenly Min Ho was being pushed into a chair and the door was being locked while someone else was closing the windows. The flurry of people and activity only increased his anxiety as he stared at Ara across from him with her eyes staring him down. It felt like a business transaction. Ara dismissed everyone but one man in the corner. He had dark hair falling in cascading ringlets around his dark skin. He smiled softly at Min Ho as if he was meeting an old acquaintance and Min Ho's curiosity peaked. He was about to burst.

"Minny, my baby brother, look at you!" Ara cooed, going around the desk between them and scooping him into another hug. "I've missed you so much.

"I missed you Ara," Min Ho sighed softly, smelling her distinct shampoo, one that never stopped making him feel inexplicably home sick.

"I've missed you too." She pulled back. "But before we talk I have news. " Her face became surprisingly serious and stoic. "We've got to make this conversation quick. You need to understand that after we talk about what we're talking about in this room, you mustn't speak a word of it to anyone until this time tomorrow. Then do what you will but I pray that you do as I say."

"What's wrong?" Min Ho said, slightly scared. It was no secret that his family was rich. But rich enough to have enemies? Rich enough to be involved in corrupt dealings? Min Ho never considered that until now as his mind went through all possible scenarios that might have been making Ara act like this.

"I am leaving." Min Ho's heart sank but he let her ramble on. "I cannot tell you why because reasons." She cocked her head. "And I cannot tell you how because, well, reasons. But I will tell you this. You will know everything in due time. And hopefully..." She paused as she pulled Min Ho closer, "You'll see me again."

There was undoubtedly love in her eyes as she blinked away unshed tears. So, Min Ho thought, this is how it feels to be loved. He felt angsty but also he felt that it was rightfully so.

Suddenly she was all business again. "Tomorrow you will find, it doesn't matter what you do or where you go, you will find a letter from me. It will tell you everything you need to know." She held him by the shoulders. "I'm sending you on a journey, Min Ho. Bring your friends along, sure, go alone, whatever, but I need you to always follow my instructions." She shook him a little as she enunciated the last part.

"Now, am I in danger? Can't tell you! But I can reassure you that you aren't. You are a free little bird and I hope you listen to me and take flight. I know you have every right to disregard everything I'm saying right now but I really hope you listen to me, Min Ho." She released him and smiled softly. "Any questions?"

Min Ho cleared his throat nervously. In the quiet study, he felt like he could only whisper. "You've only made me more confused...who's that?" He nodded to the African American man behind her.

"Adisa." She said simply. "My love."

"Oh!" He grinned at the man in greeting but something inside him broke a little. He had bared his soul to Ara numerous times but he didn't even know the name of her partner? It was odd and it was uncomfortable.

Before he could say anything more though, Ara was jumping up and checking her watch. "Time to go!" She announced. As she swept down to kiss Min Ho's cheek, she also whispered. "'Tis in my memory lock'd, And you yourself shall keep the key of it."

Yes, the story description no longer makes sense. This is because I changed up the entire story plot for the heck of it 💀

Fear not though! Kitty will still be there, and romance won't be a mere side plot. I really need to update the summary but I suck at them. Any predictions to what the story is about now? Hint: It's inspired by 13 Little Blue Envelopes! 

Please don't be a silent reader! Comments and critiques are always great encouragement. It would be great to get feedback!

Thanks, Kaav