*2

³¹ˢᵗ ᵃᵘᵍᵘˢᵗ ¹⁹⁹³

³¹ˢᵗ ᵃᵘᵍᵘˢᵗ ¹⁹⁹³

Life for Cassiopeia and Phoenix Black did not get easier. Nicky was raised in an uptight purist home. There was no denying that Lucius Malfoy had been a death eater during the rise of the Dark Lord. Nicky constantly struggled with how the Ministry hadn't noticed his extremist views. Nicky had been raised in a home that viewed muggle-borns and half-bloods as below those with pure blood. Nicky didn't understand his uncle's views, the boy didn't know his own blood status. He knew his dad was a pure-blood but he didn't know anything about his mother or her blood status. Lucius Malfoy never liked when Nicky brought this up or when he tried to debate with him about the Malfoys' irrational extreme views. The Black teen had been quick to notice how angry his views made his uncle, he had the scars to prove it and kept his opinions to himself. Since being eleven Nicky had learnt that in the Malfoy household, he was to be seen but not heard. Which only meant that his rebellious attitude thrived when at school.

Though Nicky's life had never been easy his Aunt Narcissa had tried her best to soften the blow of her husband's cruelty towards the poor boy. Cassie had suffered living within the dark grim walls of 12 Grimmauld Place with her grandparents. Walburga and Orion Black are two people who should have never had children. That much was clear to anyone who saw Sirius and Regulus growing up. When Cassie was four her grandfather died and her grandmother somehow got harsher. For the next four years, Cassie spent most of her life mute, flinching at every loud noise. When she was eight the young girl seemed to finally catch a break, her grandmother died placing her back in the care of the Ministry of Magic. The Ministry had decided to keep the custody struggle of Cassiopeia Black quiet as many wizarding foster families had already refused to take in the daughter of a mass murderer. It was finally decided that Cassie would be placed in the muggle foster system.

By the time Cassie was ten and in her second foster home she had quickly realised that muggles and wizards were not at all different, they were equally as cruel. The muggles she had been most recently placed with had taken her in simply for the money they would be receiving from the government. They didn't care about what happened to her, they barely paid any attention to her unless it was to take their anger at each other out on her. Their favourite time of the year was when Cassie began Hogwarts, which they believe is a fancy boarding school her parents signed her up for before they died (it was decided by the ministry that the statute of secrecy was not to be broken in regards to Cassie's foster placement due to how temporary the muggle foster system is).