*4

²ⁿᵈ ˢᵉᵖᵗᵉᵐᵇᵉʳ ¹⁹⁹³

²ⁿᵈ ˢᵉᵖᵗᵉᵐᵇᵉʳ ¹⁹⁹³

Despite her exhaustion the night before Cassie had struggled to sleep her mind was racing. When she was at the Murphy's house Cassie rarely slept too scared to leave Maia unprotected, Hogwarts was supposed to be Cassie's safe space but this year things had changed. The Black girl was restless, she knew she had no hope of getting much sleep this year, so she resigned to pulling the curtains around her bed, using her wand to light the book she read until breakfast time.

Cassie was the first one out of her dorm as soon as she knew the Great Hall would be open. She quickly changed into her uniform and braided her hair. The girl stood in the bathroom staring into the mirror as she tied an elastic band on the end of her braid, her eyes jumped between a pair of glasses on the counter and a small round case. Finally, she sighed before opening the case and putting her contact lenses in. Thank you muggles

When she reached the Common Room it was practically empty except for a small group of first-years who were buzzing with excitement for the first day of classes. Cassie smiled when she saw the familiar face of Fred Weasley who was sitting on the loveseat near the fire, his head resting on one of his arms as his eyes drooped tiredly. She made her way over to him tapping him on the shoulder, making him flinch.

Fred smiled at the sight of the girl, quickly standing and placing a gentle kiss on her cheek, "No glasses?"

Cassie chuckled. Fred was the only person other than Hermione and Nicky to know about Cassie's glasses and would never let her live it down, "You know that glasses are Harry's thing. When Hermione saw me in them she said I looked like him. That can never happen again. What are you doing up?"

Fred shrugged taking the girl's hand and leading her to the portrait hole, "I knew you'd be up for the beginning of breakfast so I thought I'd keep you company until the others are up."

Cassie smiled slightly looking down at their conjoined hands not quite knowing how to feel about it. Fred wasn't her boyfriend, they both knew that. Or at least Cassie did. Cassie had no idea what a stable relationship looked like, she had been raised by Walburga and Orion Black both of whom nobody could describe as stable. She was then placed in the care of the Murphy's who showed their love by screaming at one another and throwing sharp objects at the other's head. To Cassie, that is what 'love' looked like and she wanted to avoid that at all costs.