24

"Amal, an employment offer came in for you. You might want to look at it."

Amal frowned and turned away from her computer to look at Catherine who now stood beside her chair. "What employment offer?" She took the manila envelope the other woman held out. "I didn't send a request anywhere."

"It's from the UN." Catherine replied, leaning against Amal's huge desk. "Apparently it came last week but you know we ditched work a lot to settle things with Hanan and the vendors. I didn't see it until we came in this morning."

She folded her arms across her chest as Amal skimmed through the documents the envelope contained.

"They probably heard you've been doing well here and they want you back. You did intern there back then."

Amal put the documents back into the envelope and set it aside. "You and I know it was all thanks to my father. Baba has retired now so I doubt he had anything to do with this. Apart from that issue with Emeka, it's not like I have complained about working here so..."

"You'll think about it though, right?"

"Do I have a choice?

"Yeah, you do." Catherine sighed. "I hate how busy today is. I hate it more that Hanan did not want to skip work so we could all find an excuse to skip too."

Amal smiled and turned back to her computer. "She hasn't seen Zayd all week. You know he kept postponing his return. He was so tired when he came back last night but he said he has to go to work today so he can see her." She faced Catherine, her smile an inch wider. "They're so cute."

Catherine was ready to melt. "You're cute."

"Stop it!"

Catherine laughed, throwing her head back. She spoke when she was sober. "I'm serious though. I just really find it fascinating how everything played out and how happier it has made you. Ninety per cent of women who are about to get an addition to their marriage sulk and lose their minds, but you –" Her smile was warm. "You make it seem so easy."

"It's all Allah, Catherine. You know that. And it's all of you too."

"I know that." Catherine knew all too well. "I'm just so proud of you, Amal."

Amal grinned. "Thank you."

"You're wel–"

A sharp knock on the door cut them off and both women turned their heads. Only one person knocked like that. The door went open and just as they suspected, Asma walked in. Amal was the most surprised and it showed as she pushed her chair back, standing seconds later. "Asma."

Catherine straightened. "What a pleasant surprise."

Asma rolled her eyes, a smile on her face. "You say that as though you haven't seen me in ages."

"We haven't seen or heard from you since Eid." Catherine stated as though it wasn't the most obvious thing. "That can be considered ages."

Asma sighed. She stopped on the other side of the desk. "I know. I'm sorry for just pushing you all away."

She turned to Amal, a sincere apologetic look on her face.

"I'm sorry, Amal. I overreacted that day and I was being a bitch about the entire thing. I should have trusted you and Zayd but I was just really worried. I have seen so many polygamous marriages that never ended well and that's the last thing I want for the both of you."

Amal shook her head. She walked around the table so she could stand in front of the other woman. "No, it's alright, Asma. It must have been quite shocking to find out about it like that. I'm sorry for not letting you know about it sooner."