31

Zayd and Hanan decided to wear the same thing: black trousers, black long-sleeved turtlenecks and black boots – hers were wedge heeled. He draped his earth brown coat and her nude coloured one on his left arm. He did not want her to carry anything. Wrapping a matching nude veil around her head was easy and Zayd watched her the whole time.

"Wait a minute..." She turned around to face him, the mirror beautifully reflecting them both. "I have no idea what's in the box I'm taking to Egypt."

He smiled at her. "It's a surprise, I guess."

"Who packed it?"

"I did. I had some help from Amal and Hauwa though. Mama helped too."

She walked towards the door. "Then I should definitely have a look at what –"

"Our boxes are already at the suite in Cairo, Nehita. Don't bother going down to the car."

She stopped right at the wooden barrier that separated them from the others in the house and her hand fell from the cool door handle. She turned around slowly. "Why would you do that?"

He stood from the bed. "I didn't want us to have to deal with luggage. Like I said, I don't want you carrying anything." He smiled when he was right in front of her. "Let's go?"

She shook him a dirty look. "Yeah, let's go."

Everyone was there to say goodbye; his family, her family and their friends. There were long hugs and last minute advises. Umar warned Hanan to not allow Zayd contaminate her mind against their shared love for pineapples and apples in yoghurt.

She laughed and nodded. "Don't worry, Baba, he wouldn't be able to do so."

Zayd glared. "That doesn't mean I'm going to allow you take it throughout the month."

"We'll see about that, Sa'ed."

Amal's hug was the longest and she sighed when she pulled back. "Have lots of fun, Hanan and be rest assured I'd be doing the same in the UAE. Let's get each other lots of gifts, okay?"

Hanan nodded, smiling at the other woman. "Okay. If I get too much, don't come for me."

"Me too."

They both laughed about it and then Amal hugged Zayd. The ride to the airport was fast as the roads were freer than what was considered normal. When Hanan saw the private plane they were to take, her jaw hit the ground.

Zayd, who now sported a pair of expensive sunglasses, shot her an amused look. "It's an international flight, Hanan. Of course it has to be a big plane."

"This is bigger than I had expected!"

"Get used to it then."

The interior was way cooler and she kept gasping. "Zayd! Zayd, this is like a house!"

He put their coats on one of the plush seats and looked around, scrutinizing every single thing. He silently exhaled. "I told them to work on this interior."

Hanan could not see what he thought needed work. "It's still good though."

"I wanted it better."

"Let it go." She walked deeper into the plane. "There's a bedroom area too." She gasped moments later. "Planes have bathrooms this nice?! I've been cheated my whole life."

He chuckled before he sat, crossing a leg over the other so he could comfortably watch her. Two air hostesses joined them and they were polite, particularly to Hanan as Zayd was used to the entire crew, promising to offer nothing but the best services throughout the entire flight.