36

It was 4:30AM on Tuesday December 21st and they were getting set to leave.

Zayd, who was in charge of everything food related that morning, picked up the two glasses of fruit juice on the island and stepped out of the kitchen, hoping his wives had finally finished packing. The walk upstairs was quiet and he appreciated the peace that came with it. His peace shattered the moment he stepped into the room they had all fallen asleep in.

Hanan was on her knees in front of the vanity dresser, trying to get her box closed while Amal was on her knees in front of the bed, trying to do the same.

Zayd told himself to breathe. "Please tell me both of you did not disarrange those boxes after making me rearrange them after Tahajjud."

Like twins, their movements stopped. The guilty expression on their faces mere seconds later was enough of an answer.

Amal stood first. "In my defence, this dress I'm wearing was at the very bottom. And in Hanan's defence, I thought the dress somehow got in her box. That's why all this happened."

Zayd looked ready to murder both women. "You two said you were going to look around and add a few more things. No one said anything about disarranging both boxes!"

"We'll arrange it now." Hanan said, smiling at him.

"You'll have to." Zayd replied, his smile very insincere. "Otherwise, no one's eating and we'll leave for the airport that way." Both women gasped and he shrugged before he turned around. "I'll just take these cups back to the fridge so you two can get started. We don't have a lot of time so you might want to hurry up."

They were down in less than ten minutes, boxes perfectly packed and both of them breathing heavily. Amal grinned. "We did it!"

He could not stop himself from smiling. "Yeah, you did. Breakfast's in the kitchen. I was thinking we'd pray Fajr at the airport but let's see how it goes."

"We can stop by at any mosque on the way to pray." Hanan said. She dropped her sling bag, jacket and veil on one of the couches. "We still have time before they call the Adhan."

Amal gasped from the kitchen. "Zayd, you prepared a whole English breakfast!"

Zayd's smile stayed as he took Hanan's hand the second she was right in front of him. They stepped into the neat and brightly lit kitchen together. "Bon appetite, I guess."

Each plate on the kitchen island contained triangular cut toasts, well fried sausages, baked beans, beef bacon and eggs. On the side were three steaming cups of tea, three bottles of water and three glasses of fruit juice.

As they sat, Hanan said "If I was the one who was to cook this morning, be rest assured we'd be eating cereal."

Amal uncapped her bottle of water with a snort. "Why are you like this, Hanan?"

Hanan smiled widely. "You love me too much to even complain. You know that."

Amal nodded while laughing heartily. "Yes, I do. Sa'ed does too."

Zayd just cleared his throat and looked away, sipping his tea but they both saw the blush on his dark face. It made them laugh. By the time all the plates were cleared, washed and put on the rack to dry, the Adhan for Fajr was called and Amal panicked. "I am really, really not going to miss my flight, right?"

Zayd put his hands on her shoulder and steered her out of the kitchen. "You won't, In Shaa Allah. We're just going to pray and be on our way...If they like, they can leave you. I'll send you to meet them with Mas'ood and Baba's plane. Mine is still being serviced."

"You know I'll have to decline that offer."

His expression soured. "Unfortunately. You don't want anyone on the team you're going with to feel bad."