42 | zindagi, ek safar

Vanraj:

I took a sip of the tea awkwardly.
"It's such a pleasure to see you, Adityaraj.", Mahendra Rathore said.
Papa smiled weakly.
We were in Udaipur, to talk about Arshi.

Malvika sat beside me on the sofa.
Papa and Maa right beside her.

"Where's Arshi—"

"We don't talk about her here.", Mahendra, who was technically my distant uncle, said sharply.
"Don't you think you took a decision too hastily.", Papa said, with complete intentions of making things right.
Arshi was standing right outside the door, hearing everything.

"She couldn't be a part of our prestigious family. She likes women!", Her mother said, pulling her veil over her face a little more.
"Yes.. but what's the problem, Jiji?", Maa said softly,
"She's your daughter—"

"She is not our daughter.", Mahendra said sharply.
I glanced at Malvika who looked back at me, nervously.

"But—"

"No, Adityaraj. We have disowned her for life.", He stated coldly.

"But why Father?!", This was Arshi's shrill voice.

Oh crap!

Her parents stood up instantly.
An outrage on their face.
"You dared to bring this genderless girl here—"

"Mahendra mind your language!", Papa shouted at him.
Maa clutched his hand instantly, he wasn't supposed to shout.
He immediately drew in a sharp breath and fell silent.

"What else is she?! You are nothing but a dark spot on our whole family! Get lost!", Her mother said sharply.

What parents were these?
I was a parent too, but I could never bring myself to say such things to my children.
Ever.

"Maa! Pitaji! Why do you keep doing this to me?! I am your daughter!", Arshi shouted, yet an aching plea rang.
I drew in a sharp breath.

"We have disowned you! And you will remain disowned! I wish you were never born.", Her own father shouted.

No wonder she was that bitter.

"Sir, I understand your situation but just because your daughter is different, doesn't make her wrong.", Malvika said, in the most understanding tone.

"Don't tell us what to understand! It's very easy to talk when it's about others' family! I wish even your daughter turns out this, then you will understand!", Arshi's mother shot, in the most nasty way possible.

"If she does, at least we won't insult her.. or should I mention of how you assaulted your adult daughter, locked her up for days with no food!", I finally mentioned.

Malvika looked at me as I drew in a deep breath.

Indeed, years ago Arshi had mentioned her parents were extremely torturous, the reason why I felt sympathy for her back then. Now I saw the reason behind the torture, and it was pathetic.

"We did what was right! Who the hell are you to tell?!", Mahendra said.
"Get out of our house, everyone! We need no one, and definitely not you Arshi.", He added.