54 | Deja Vu

Vanraj :

Malvika stared at me.
Frozen.

"What?", she asked in a whisper.
"Yes.", I replied.

"You-you are my husband? But.. no.. how..", She stepped away immediately.
I drew in a deep breath.
I noticed how her eyes welled with tears. She looked panicked.
"Malvika..", I said softly, in the most comforting voice possible.

"No.. but.. I-I don't remember.. how-", I took a step towards her, holding her hand, entwining my fingers with hers.
She looked at me, trying to recall things her mind had forgotten.
"You will remember, one day.", I whispered.
"I-I can't.. I remember only till my escape post divorce..", She looked down.

"And even if you don't Malvika, I will wait for you to love me again.", I whispered.
She looked up at me.
"Why?", She asked.

"Why would you wait? You are Vanraj Singh Rathore.. you have women dying to have you. Why would you want me back? You are ten times richer, really hot.. you could have anyone.", She stammered.
I drew in a deep breath.
She really remembered nothing of our journey.

I placed my other hand on her cheek.
The yellow dim light of our bedroom dimly lit up the hall, only enough for me to notice her tears, the ache in her beautiful eyes.

"When you chose to stay with me.. I was nothing. I was a middle class jobless divorcee. I was a rude, narcissist man who no one loved. But you chose me. Me of all the good looking rich men you could have.", I said softly.

She looked into my eyes.
Searching for answers, wishing every word I said was true.

"Tell me about us, Raj.", She said finally.
My lips curved into a soft smile as I wiped off her tear with a thumb.

I made her sit on the sofa beside me. She held my hand firmly, wiping her tears with her other hand.

"It started when you wanted to start a business..", And I recounted our story.

Malvika :

I stared at him.

"And.. when I reached the terrace.. you had jumped.", He mumbled.
I knew his voice was numbing.
Nothing could hurt him more.
He squeezed my hand a little, wiping his tears with his other hand.

"I am sorry..", I whispered.
I had stopped wiping my tears off. Some were of regret, but mostly they had been of joy.
Joy that someone loved me so much.

He looked at me.

"It's not your fault.. it never was.", He said clearing his throat. He edged closer and wiped my tears off.
The sun was rising outside. The hall was slowly lighting up.

"I.. I still don't remember.. I wish I could Vanraj.. I-I really want to remember..", I mumbled feeling exhausted.
He edged closer to me.
"It's okay, Rose.", He whispered.

My heart skipped a beat.
Deep down I knew it was something special. It was special because he said it.

I slowly edged closer to him.
I softly kissed his forehead. He shut his eyes, as if feeling every bit of it.
I edged away as he drew in a deep breath.

"Thank you..", He whispered, on the edge of a breakdown.
I felt a lump in my throat.
Almost involuntarily, I wrapped my arms around him, resting my head on his shoulder. He was taken aback for a moment.

"You don't remember.. then why?", He asked.
"You remember, right? That's more than enough for both of us.", I said.

His arms were the most comfortable place I could ever be in.
It was home.

A decade of wondering who I was, and who the father of my daughter was.. this was home. I knew he loved me.
Bhai had told me to not trust strangers, but my heart knew Vanraj wasn't one.

He was the one.

Vanraj hugged me tighter, inhaling my scent.
"I really love you Malvika.", He said.
I hugged him a little tighter, hearing his heart pacing.
"I am sure Malvika with memory would have said I love you too..", I said softly, "But I will say.. I will fall in love with you soon."

I know he smiled as he lovingly carrased my back.

Vanraj :

It was nine in the morning when we got off before our old office building.
Singhania head office was still here.

"I really hope Vanika doesn't wreck havoc in your house.", Malvika whispered sighing.
"She's going to have a great time, Mukku..trust me. Plus, that house is hers too.", I replied, smiling.

Malvika beamed as she nodded.
I knew she had started to feel the sense of security.
I somehow realised that there was no reason to force her to remember us.. we would always be 'us' whenever we were together.
I loved her the same, her antics - they were slightly refrained now - but I loved them the same.

We walked into the building.

I felt deja vu.
Walking in with her, into the very same building where our partnership had begun.

"You know Raj.. this new venture is so cool! I am so excited for it.", Malvika said as we walked into the elevator.

I smiled at her. I couldn't look away from her as she explained the venture.
Looking at her, standing this close, it all felt dream-like.

The elevator door opened.

"I thought you had learnt to stay away from my sister.", I heard sharply.

I drew in a sharp breath.

"Akshay Bhai..", Malvika whispered, paling slightly.

•••

Drop in your views 💕