Chapter 7

Chapter Inspiration: Imperatrix Mundi by Jo Blankenburg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Belva and Mai stood there assessing the new enemies. Feeling the path of their strings to predict where the former Clan members would strike first.

"Everything that I've taught you is useless," Belva muttered under her breath. "They will know all of your movements, be one step ahead."

"Then I guess it's a good thing we will be as well," Mai answered back.

The sensei sighed. "They have years of experience on you despite dying far too young. As you should know every member of your family has their own technique they developed after learning the basics. And I don't have time to run through each of their profiles for you."

"I wasn't ever particularly interested. If it was that important you should have said so in the past."

The woman shrugged. "Didn't think it was important. Never imagined we'd meet them again in this life. And you never asked."

"My mistake," her eyes rolled. The past never seemed to be kind, so it was always meant to be left behind to move forward.

Mai's arm threw up to the right suddenly. As if pressed against a great weight being held off.

"Hmm, she's a strong one," Momo mused.

"I expect nothing less from Hisoka and Suzu's heir," Shin said.

The twins moved forward on their own accord. Belva was the one to cut them off, the three at a standstill. Both sides gripped at each other's Chakra Strings to hold them in place.

"It's definitely been a while, Master," Momo stated. "Hope you haven't gotten rusty with us gone."

"Not to worry, I've been kept on my toes these last few years."

"Belva," Shin spoke up. "Stop me."

Her eyes narrowed in determination. "You have my word. I will."

"You better." [song ends]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Inspiration: Anthem of the Phoenix by Two Steps From Hell

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mai stared at her parents and uncle, unable to concern herself with what her sensei was doing. Yet that didn't mean she was completely blind to their battle should one try to attack thinking there was a blind spot.

"Three against one..." the teen murmured. "I've had worse."

"No, you haven't," Yuji stated.

"You'd be surprised whom she's been up against," Kakashi spoke from his position. Missing Ninjas, S-Ranked criminals, Jounins, ANBU, Akatsuki – it was only now he realized her list of opponents were endless. Still, nothing could every really prepare her for this.

"Good, then this will not be an easy battle."

Her brows narrowed, "Hell no."

The man was jerked through the air with such speed it startled the enemy. Seeing as how the teen was still holding back what remained of their first attempted surprise attack. Slicing through the strings it freed up the arm as Mai swung both around cutting into the earth and uprooting trees and hidden rocks. The adults followed the motion to hold the flying objects at bay, giving Mai the distraction in order to maneuver through the debris, short blade in hand. She was intercepted flipping over the strings meant to capture her. The metal scrapped against a long sword that came dangerously close to the neck. Throwing the weapon away the Be Fong went racing between her parents, landing on the ground crouching low. Turning on a foot the strings clung to the shoe of the leg kicking out to swipe at their lower limbs. Hisoka managed to evade, but they latched onto Suzu, throwing her into the ground. A cry of pain escaped the woman's lips upon impact that made Mai's gut wrench.