Chapter 15

The silence was deafening as everything began to settle. The ninja began to pull themselves up from the blast that knocked them off their feet or uncover their faces that helped protect them from the flying rock and debris. All began to survey their surroundings. The smoke made it difficult to see as both sides began engaging once more. Belva was left coughing trying to find her student.

From the wreckage, Obito pulled himself free, teeth clenched from the pain that shot through an arm from the blast. It hadn't been destroyed, but it was burned and cut up in a few areas. Observing the field something else caught the young man's attention, head snapping down to stare at his palms. They were shaking. And not from the adrenaline, the enemy realized. For the first time in his life since being a young boy, Obito felt fear.

"Ridiculous," he grumbled, clenching his hands tightly to make them stop.

The young man refused to feel such a thing. And towards someone who was younger and less experienced in this world than himself. Through the haze he began to see a silhouette, but not standing against him. Obito could investigate, to end it all permanently. However, based on what he could make out there was nothing for him to worry about. That fear had been for nothing. There was something more important he had to do, returning to the side of his own creation after collecting the tailed beasts – the Juubi, also known as the Ten-Tails – as it continued to brutally eliminate the Shinobi Army.

"Enough of this," he growled.

The Ten-Tails released a Wood Jutsu that had massive spikes covering the surrounding area. Impaling those already dead, ninja already injured and unable to run away or protect themselves. Even struck down a few of his own comrades left standing, unable to counter such a brutal attack. The death toll was mounting by the minute as the beast paused for a moment.

"I thought you said you would not allow me to kill another one of your comrades, Naruto," Obito mocked, arms spreading wide to take in the scene. "Well look around you! Death is everywhere. Or were you only muttering that to yourself? A false promise that you hoped would make you feel better about your situation? The body count will continue to rise despite your empty principles. This is reality. And now let me ask, what is left here for you? You have no father or mother, master, and your comrades will fall one by one. In the end no one will acknowledge your existence."

When all hope seemed lost as the ground became further stained red and littered with corpses, Naruto's mind began to falter. For a moment. When Hinata appeared by his side it brought him back from a dark place as an orb of energy began to form at the Ten-Tail's mouth, growing by the second. This would end it all, as its radius would completely wipe them out. None would survive.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Orochimaru lead Team Taka to the Uzumaki Clan's Noh Mask Hall on the outskirts of Konoha. Surprisingly, the man agreed to assist the Uchiha to seek the all-knowing without trying to claim his body as a host. The building was half destroyed, having not been rebuilt after Pein's assault on the Village and left to decay. They climbed over the destruction inside to find a wall covered in different ninja masks.

"Which one?" Sasuke wondered.

"Hmm, let's see," Orochimaru mused.

His arm transformed into a snake, its tongue flicking out as it slithered closer to locate what they sought. Finally, it circled one in particular, pulling it from the wall.

"There we go."

"This place gives me the creeps," Suigetsu said. "If you've found it, can we please get outta here?"