Chapter 14

Chapter Inspiration: Failure by Breaking Benjamin

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh god!"

"Help us!"

"Please help us!"

The sound of explosions was deafening as Mai pushed through the carnage around their engaged forces. There was no place to run. No place to hide from the full-scale battle. Some were driven mad from grief of lost comrades, others from the sight of all this blood and broken bodies that littered the ground. This field was a graveyard. Blood, sweat, and dirt were caked onto the surface of the skin. Instead of being driven insane, the Be Fong only became fueled to fight harder. Her eyes were untamed, deadly, and unpredictable. So much so that the white side of Zetsu cringed away, even hesitated to meet her head on. But it mattered not as they were ripped apart like the vermin they were, unable to regenerate. Coming to the conclusion that they could not return to their prior form, and it actually hurt to be destroyed by the teen the clones began backing away.

"Pathetic," Mai muttered.

With the jerk of her hands, those surrounding at a distance came flying towards her waiting clutches and cut them to ribbons.

Meanwhile, the ninjas facing Madara stood at a distance in fear of what torment he would inflict upon them. Afterall, the corpse had been facing off against the Kages in a separate area, and his arrival without the Village leaders hot on his tail wasn't a good sign. Where were the Kages? And how was he still here? He was the only one to remain from the Edo Tensei. The only one to perform a jutsu to ward off returning to the afterlife so he could continue to lay waste to his opponents alongside Obito. As the ground below their feet began to rumble many feared it was the work of their opponent. However, the Uchiha's eyes scanned the battle in order to find its source, landing on the Be Fong. Her levels were raging for someone so young. Now that was an opponent to face.

"You're in my way," he stated. The corpse easily cast aside those deemed lesser than him.

Mai could feel him approaching before even turning around fully. The broken surface around them became overturned, the Chakra Strings swinging a few sections through the air. At the same time, they dragged allies out of path to save their lives. Her head shifted to the side seconds before an arm passed by an ear.

Dangerously, her attention turned to Madara. Unlike the others the teen didn't appear to be frighten. Though in her state of mind she was long past that. The teen moved like a predator around him, avoiding his short-range attacks, even managing to redirect jutsus meant to end her existence where she stood.

The Be Fong dared to touch him. As their eyes met the man knew he had her then, activating the Sharingan. He'd take off her head while lost in illusions. Madara wished to see his opponent's darkest fears and pain. Then make an example out of her for all to see.

Nothing happened as Mai's free hand shot through the chest, sparks of electricity igniting off the surface. A Chidori. It was powerful, but not enough to completely render the Uchiha immobile until she found her real target. Ripping herself away, the teen ducked under one of his arms. His movements had slowed due to the electrical shock until they were back-to-back. Mai's arms crossed in front of her as the strings lit up with lightning and shredded the Uchiha's body apart.

"Absolutely incredible," he murmured, glancing over a shoulder.

It had not done him in, but it was a tactical move to hold him back for a period of time. Maybe even allow someone strong enough binding him completely. But due to the chaos no one was really thinking straight and there were few able to witness such a feat. Still, to be against someone not affected by the Sharingan, Madara wished to have known her when still alive. What a weapon he could have molded her into for his use. She caused more damage than the Kages in such a short amount of time. He hadn't even been given a chance to try and level the teen.

The Be Fong rushed off into the heat of the battle showing no mercy. Help those in need. As the strings ripped into a clump of White Zetsus, she ended up protecting Shikamaru and Ino from a deadly blow.

"Mai," the Yamanaka breathed in relief from seeing a familiar face.

However, Shikamaru was anything but calm from his crouched position. The Be Fong was not herself, not even sparing them a glance.

There was only one thought in her mind while moving across the field. Where had Obito disappeared to? Gai seemed to no longer be his opponent. The Jounin was facing off against an ambush with Rock Lee. Through the carnage Belva caught sight of her rampaging student, not liking the look in her eyes. The woman was aware of what become of Kakashi when just clearing an upturned boulder.

Finally, Mai caught sight of the target.

He stood in the center of the battle with a handful of bodies surrounding him. But still there was no sign of Kakashi And then there was the need to know what had become of Sasuke. The Uchiha had yet to enter the battle, but he too was a member of Akatsuki. What had become of her childhood friend? Hands clenching into fists so tightly the nails drew blood. Mai's chakra skyrocketed.

Obito turned, feeling the approaching, threatening presence. Mai Be Fong. The ninja he could not have. The young man smirked. Now would be a good time to test her abilities. See what he had missed out on.

Belva followed the teen's line of sight, eyes widening. "Mai! No!" the woman screeched.

The Be Fong was already on the warpath though, and there was no way possible for her to intervene in time. There was a swell of jutsus in both of their palms that had those too close running. Sensing the danger.

The two clashed creating a thunderous clap of chakra as a blinding light engulfed them. The shockwave threw the ninja near off their feet and the area became a void of destruction. [song ends]