Chapter One

allure
(n.) the quality of being powerfully and mysteriously attractive or fascinating

●▬▬▬▬๑๑▬▬▬▬●

PAST
ONE YEAR AGO

GENEVIEVE

"Afterward, he told me that he had nothing to do with me. C-can you believe that?" Valentina sniffs, her eyes swollen from the tears she'd shed, "Years of being together with that man..."

Apparently, my best friend had a nasty breakup recently. The man she'd been dating for three years was cheating on her for the last six months. The day before yesterday, she found out about that, and she'd been devastated since then.

Valentina hadn't come to the office for two days. I was concerned and tried to reach her, but failed. Finally, today, she called me after the evening, and I immediately left work.

I met her at our regular meeting spot, Bontempi, an astounding cafeteria from where the patrons can admire the deadly charm of Moskva. She already had a seat saved for me. I ordered us a few drinks so she could be at ease while explaining her matters. I had already noticed the dark circles beneath her eyes, signaling that she wasn't quite okay.

We've been here for two hours, and Val was still crying her heart out. Her voice was broken from sobbing.

"And the fact that Marcella was behind whatever happened. I thought she was a good woman! I even went to her house the other day with Andrea, unaware of what they were doing behind my back," she exclaimed sadly, "I was naive all this time." Her voice came out as a whisper, drained and shattered.

I swirled the glass in my hand, lost for words. I couldn't find the voice to bring her solace. You could comfort someone who's unhappy, not someone who's in misery.

"I did tell you before not to get involved with Marcella," my new colleague apparently was fishy, with those hearty smiles that reached her eyes and words so kind they could melt ice. Some people just gave off-vibes no matter how friendly they were and Marcella was one prime example of that.

Internally, I rolled my eyes at the thoughts of that girl. Suka.

Not that I was completely blaming Marcella for what happened to Val, because her boyfriend was definitely a piece of shit too. But Marcella wasn't justified either. Both of them were the worst. They had won the game they were playing.

Val didn't say anything else. Her drink remained untouched on the table as she stood up, "I'll go to the restroom for a moment. Can you wait for me or-"

"I'll wait. You can go," I didn't let her complete her words, because I would never leave her alone here, no matter how late it had become. And I was planning for her to sleep over at my place, "Should I come with you?" I inquired in case she had trouble walking. She had drunk a little too much.

"Don't worry. I'll be alright." She gave me a small smile before turning on her heels and disappearing from my sight.

I sighed, feeling a sense of disappointment inside me. I had never been in a committed relationship before, so I had no idea what it felt like to be betrayed. However, it definitely was an ugly experience. I could see that from Val.