Chapter Nine

phosphenes
(n.) the colors or 'stars' you see when you rub your eyes

●▬▬▬▬๑๑▬▬▬▬●

PAST
ONE YEAR AGO

GENEVIEVE

"I'm Emiliano," Aleksandr's brother said, his smile mischievous as he held out his hand. Despite my confused face, I managed to give him a curt smile. "Hello," I said, taking his hand, "I'm Genevieve."

"Aha, very pretty name. It's very nice to meet you, Genevieve," he said, still smiling. "Thank you. Nice to meet you too," I said.

His gaze lingered on me a little more than a few seconds before Aleksandr cleared his throat, turning our attention to him, his expression slightly irritated as he said, "Emi, you can leave now. I'll meet you out," then he fixed his eyes on mine.

"Come on now, I just met this pretty lady. Can't we get to know each other, right? Gen?" Emi looked my way and winked, his voice alone vindicating he was trying to get on his brother's nerves.

Aleksandr shot him a dirty look. "Go, Emi." Emi sighed, "You're so cruel, you know that, brother?" His question was never replied to by his brother, and he gave a dramatic sigh once again. I almost smiled.

"Anyway, Gen," Emi looked at me once more, "We can meet sometimes, no?" I chuckled at his question. "Sure, we can. Until then, keep breathing." He chuckled at my words, shaking his head slightly. And when he looked back at me again, his face showed pure amusement.

It was as clear as crystal to me now. Despite his appearance, he was more carefree than his brother.

Though I couldn't judge someone I had just met by his laughter and way of talking. There could be a more dangerous and lethal side lurking beneath this easygoing facade. Emiliano's fox eyes could confirm that much.

He couldn't be trusted with secrets and life. That's I could guarantee.

"Have a great day, Gen." Emiliano smiled my way for the last time before turning around, heading out of the cafeteria, and my eyes found Aleksandr's again. He had an apologetic look plastered on his face. "I hope you don't mind," he said.

I shook my head, smiling a little. "Of course not. It was nice meeting your brother." He sighed, "Let's hope he remains nice." I laughed at his words. He stilled. Then he smiled.

He took my hand in his callous ones before meeting my eyes with a hazy gaze. "So, where were we left..." Blush rose to my cheeks at that mention.

Let alone three days, I need an eternity to think about having such an intimate relationship with a man, furthermore a Bratva.

"I... I might agree." This is all I managed to say. I felt a soft squeeze on my hand, which sent warm heat burning my skin. "Might you?" He asked, his voice so sensual as he came closer to my face.

"Fine," I huffed with flushed cheeks. "I can agree. But," I trailed off, trying to find the right words to say. However, he managed to ask before that. "But?"

I closed and opened my eyes, finding the emerald green eyes still looking at mine, asking, unmoving. "Isn't it too soon?" I queried in a low voice. "I mean, we've known each other for barely three days."