Chapter Twelve

acrasia
(n.) the lack of self control

●▬▬▬๑๑▬▬▬▬●

PRESENT

GENEVIEVE

By the time we made our way out, my head was already spinning from numerous thoughts roaming inside. Never had I expected that by offering me a job, Aleksandr would take me under his wing.

God, just thinking that I'll be working for two delinquents now made me feel like my lifespan had reduced to thirty years. What is to be thankful for is that they weren't making me do any illegal work. I'll be only doing the account management.

Out of all, this was the safest work I could do here, is what Emi said. He'd also told me that it was going to benefit the three of us. I can remain out of the dirty job and they can also trust me on not betraying them as I didn't know enough about their world to be a snake.

Despite all that, I could quite see the displeasure on Emi's face. With his hearty smile and pleasant behavior, nobody would be able to notice the distrust in his eyes for me. His last words had made a clear indication of that.

"Another thing, Gen. Nobody, not even a soul, would find out about this place, this league. I hope you understand," Emi says, his grin as always a half smile and half threat. "You know the consequences, otherwise."

I didn't have to ask what the consequences were. Guess all the good opportunities come with a cost.

Because all the threat I might have to face in the near future was paid off the moment I heard of the amount of my salary. With that amount of money, it would only take two months for me to pay Maggie's so-called debt.

After that, maybe I would be able to leave that job. Though my life was unsettled in Kazan, I was still considering about returning there right after all this mess ends.

I don't even know why I was thinking about leaving again when I was literally sitting in the car of Aleksandr, the reason for my leaving.

Twenty-eight years of my life have passed in monotony. It was with Aleksandr that I found a sheer thrill of joy. Yet, the absurdity I felt about my feelings for him left my life so upside down that I had to forget everything and leave, so that I can find the solace of myself and my mind in back.

Now, returning again felt... odd, a mixture of good and bad. It's not like I've completely forgotten about that man. He always stayed there in a little space in my mind. Maybe that's why I couldn't find it a big deal when I heard he has been after me for a year.

At least, he also remembered me.

My head turned from the window to Aleksandr. His eyes were on the road, movement silent except for his hand that wielded the steering wheel. As if he felt my gaze on him, he gave me a side glance. But that was for a short time; he went back to his earlier posture in a second.

"Thank you." My words had caught him off guard. He blinked a few times, surprise coating his face before he turned his head towards me. "... You're welcome." He clears his throat before saying.

"Why are you helping me?" I inquired out of interest. He couldn't have no reason to suddenly help me. I was curious about his actual reason for stalking me too. The reasoning about just wanting to know my identity has been weak. But I wondered how much he knew about me.

"I want to do many things to you," He replied after a short pause. "Helping just happened to be one of them." Then he smiles at my unimpressed face.

I hadn't said anything more, though. Despite the roll of my eyes at his answer, which was my external reaction, there was a peculiar tightness I felt inside my chest at his words.