Chapter Ten

saudade
(n.) a nostalgic longing to be near someone or something that is distant

●▬▬▬▬๑๑▬▬▬▬●

PRESENT

GENEVIEVE

I barely had any sleep last night. Yesterday's incident rewound in my mind again and again until morning. I spent the whole night tossing and turning in bed.

When sleep finally began to overcome me, it was already time for me to get up. My head felt twice as heavy now, accompanied by a dull ache.

Dragging myself out of bed, I lazily made my way to the bathroom and completed my morning routine. Thanks to someone who didn't provide me with any information about my new profession and its policies, I had to put on a semi-formal outfit.

Despite my dislike for lip gloss, I applied some as my lips felt dry. I left my hair down, extending past my hipbone, and gazed at myself in the mirror for the final check.

Acceptable, I guess.

Next, I headed downstairs while wrapping a muffler around my neck. Just as I was about to send Aleksandr a text to inform him of my readiness, a message arrived announcing his arrival. I read his message while taking big bites of my breakfast.

Aleksandr
I'm here.

A silly smile formed on my lips at the realization that he probably still had my number saved in his phone. I sent a brief reply.

Gen
On my way.

Finishing the last bite of my breakfast, I slipped my phone into my pocket and quickly left the house. The cold breeze made me shiver as soon as I stepped out of the yard. The weather was freezing today.

Aleksandr came into view as I looked up. His raven hair was tied in a loose bun, and his eyes were already locked onto mine as he leaned against his car.

The closer I walked toward him, the stranger I felt... a weird mixture of emotions. These weren't the feelings I expected to feel after a year of trying to forget this man.

"Privet," he greeted as I reached him, a pleasant glint in his eyes. However, I sensed it vanish the moment I turned away and moved to the other side of his car.

A strong hand halted my movement halfway. I didn't need to look at him to sense the displeasure in his voice.

"I think I greeted you, dorogaya." For a brief moment I intended to not respond this time too, just to see his reaction. But I chose not to test my luck.

Turning around with blinking eyes, I forced a tight smile. "Hello to you too." My voice came out louder than I expected. Aleksandr only looked down at me, and I couldn't decipher if his expression held amusement or bemusement.

After what felt like an eternity of silence, he released my hand with a small chuckle. "I don't like it when you ignore me," he declared. The coldness from his voice had disappeared, replaced by a peculiar playfulness.

When did I ever ignore him?

"I didn't realize that not saying 'hello' counted as ignoring," I retorted with a hint of sarcasm, earning a slight laugh from him. "You're trying to tell me you don't greet people when you meet them?" he teased, prompting an eye roll from me.

"Whatever." I spun around for the last time and got into his car. He followed my suit and started the engine, driving off.

The journey was silent until I decided to break it. "Did you stalk me?"