Chapter Thirty Seven

*Axel*

Everything was going to hell.

Five days have passed since I left Tristan on his own at the house. Thankfully his friend Cameron was able to stay with him for the time being, so I felt a little relieved that he wasn't completely by himself. Still, it worried me that I wasn't there with him. More so, I was already feeling the separation between us. It was safe to say that my body was going through major withdrawals without his scent to appease my craving to be around him.

I should be upset that it was affecting me to this extent, after all this was exactly what I was desperate to stay away from when it came to Omegas. But I couldn't find it within me to be even slightly bothered or even care. I just wanted to be with him. Even a simple glimpse of him would suffice.

That morning it was so hard to leave him there in my bed as I told him that I had to leave for a little while. The dejected look on his face nearly made me say fuck it and stay regardless of the demands and threats from Han that kept blowing up my phone. But just the mention of that bastard firmed my resolve to hurry up and get back. Besides, Tristan is who needed to be protected after all.

Of course, I didn't get away unscathed when I first arrived.

As soon as I got to the mansion Han demanded for my presence in his office. The soreness in my side still throbbed as I remembered what had happened as soon as I entered through those doors.

I didn't make it two steps past the threshold as a sudden fist slammed me on the side of my jaw completely throwing me off and I fell to the ground. I didn't even get the chance to get my bearings as sharp pain speared through my side as kick after kick was impacted against my ribs.

The beating didn't stop until Han finally said, "That's enough."

The man who had been kicking me steps away and goes back to his position by the door. Once again, he folds his hands in front of him and stares straight ahead as if he just didn't beat the living shit out of me.

Han leaned against his desk, causally inhaling a puff of his cigar that made the room stink with tobacco.

I curled up, holding my bruised ribs as the pain strikes through me. I tried to cough but even doing that hurt like a bitch. My body felt a bit weak, and I was thankful that my mind had been so consumed on protecting myself that none of my Alpha pheromones leaked out. Rage wasn't an emotion I could afford to show off right now. But while it was bubbling up, I hated the fact that I had to show the weaker side of myself to this disgusting man just so I didn't put the people I loved and cared about into harm's way.

I would rather him take his anger out on me than with my birth father or Thomas.

"It seems you needed a reminder of your position in life, brat. Since when did you start thinking you can grow a pair of balls and start rebelling against me, huh?" His tone was one of boredom, but I knew him well enough that it was just a sign that suppressed anger was just beneath the surface.

I knew better than to talk back. So, I just tried my best to control my breathing, but even doing that hurt as well. My entire right side was in flames from the constant kicking that I just hoped I didn't acquire cracked ribs in the process.

I take a chance to look up at him with watery eyes. He stares down at me with no remorse and a hard glint to his black eyes.

"Apparently, I have given you a bit too much freedom lately." He moves away from his desk to walk around it and sits in his way too expensive chair. "Perhaps, you need another lesson on what happens to those who don't immediately follow orders."