Chapter 6

The morning air was somber as the village gathered. Nathrae had convinced Aresis to recover for one more day before leaving. He had a large pack on his back and was ready to go. Uther was similarly laden, but first the chief wanted to address the village. Garreth climbed on top of a rock and raised his voice.

"The time has come once more, my friends, to move the village." This sent murmurs through the crowd. They were expecting a farewell speech for the pair being sent out, not an announcement that they themselves would be moving. Garreth raised his hands to forestall the protests.

"Listen closely. The Great Storm has moved further south than it ever has. Not only that, but our elders have heard that a Harbinger was seen within our land, in the company of that cave bear that killed several of our people and many of our food animals." At the mention of the giant, the crowd began whispering amongst themselves. Garreth continued speaking and they grew quiet once more. "Wolf packs of increasing size and aggression will continue moving into our lands. I say these things not to make you afraid, but to show that this problem is not one we can stand against by staying here. Just as our ancestors moved to this land to plant this village, so we shall go to a new, safer land to the south." Garreth cleared his throat. "In the meantime, we have been visited by a seer of Aeindarhu, who brings hope mingled with grim tidings. The Great Storm shall not cease expanding. Yet Aeindarhu has not forgotten us. The seer has chosen one of our number to be the Anointed and raise the Sun, just as was prophesied and confirmed by Nathrae and other seers long ago. If Aeindarhu wills it, they shall be successful in their enterprise, and save us from the Great Storm . If not, we shall wait for the true Anointed in our new village. Consider carefully what to bring on our journey. We leave in three days."

With that, Garreth stepped down from the rock and the villagers began murmuring again. Several came over to the chief and other elders and began asking questions.

Aresis shouldered his pack and made his way over to Uther and Thamuk. "Ready to go, boy?"

The brothers embraced and Uther picked up his own pack. He had grabbed extra darts and a replacement lasso along with the other supplies he would need.

"Be sure that you bring that axe back to me," Thamuk smiled.

Uther smirked and smacked his brother's shoulder. "You'll probably come after me once you realize that I swapped it with the one you actually like." He looked at Aresis and nodded. "I think so."

"Wait!"

The three turned and saw Nathrae and Garreth moving toward them through the crowd. "Before you leave, you should receive a blessing from your Father."

She brought them to Garreth, who was caught in a heated discussion with one of the older members of the village. He paused his conversation and faced the foursome. "Yes?"

"Chief, we should bless the travellers before they go, don't you think?"

Garreth frowned and he shook his head once. "I don't bless mistakes." He lifted his finger at Aresis. "Leave, and may those cursed wolves follow you." Then he turned back to the villager and continued arguing as if nothing had happened.

Uther's heart fell into his stomach. But along with it came another feeling: determination to prove his father wrong. Aresis bowed his head. "Just as you wish, we shall leave."

He turned to go, but Nathrae stopped him. "Wait. If the chief will not give you his blessing, accept mine." She put one hand on Aresis' shoulder and one on Uther's and spoke a few short phrases in the same language Aresis used when he anointed Uther, but there was no vision this time. Then Nathrae finished her prayer. "Go in peace, and return in well-being."