Chapter 7

As the pair made their way through the lava fields north of the village, Uther tried to pass the time with conversation. His first instinct was to satiate his curiosity. "Where exactly are we going? And how will we raise the Sun?"

"We are going to one of the Solari villages on the Eastern Coast," Aresis said. "It is about midway between your village and Tel Eramin. They have the means to reach the Bright Lands, where the sun is, in the northern part of the Eastern Sea. Once we reach that land, you will raise the Sun."

Uther frowned, confused. "But...how? That seems impossible."

Aresis smiled wryly. "There's a reason it hasn't been done yet. Shaaldir would have raised it if he could. But what will be more difficult for us is actually getting to where the Sun is. Crossing the sea is a dangerous business."

"Why is that?"

"Have you ever been to the coast, boy?"

Uther shook his head.

"Listen well," Aresis said. "First, the Great Storm makes conditions on the sea choppy at best and suicidal at worst. Waves taller than any building in your village are common. That's not to mention the Leviathan and her offspring who make their home in the sea. The wake of their passing alone would be enough to capsize most ships, if they decide not to eat them. All these things mean that only the Solari, who have learned the secrets of the sea, and learned the location of the Bright Lands are able to venture out into the open sea."

"Why didn't you choose one of them to anoint, then?" Uther asked. "It seems like it would have been a lot simpler to get to and raise the Sun, however that will happen."

"Because I didn't choose you," Aresis answered, digging into his satchel. He produced a bone tube. He pulled off the top and reached inside to produce a scroll. He unrolled it a little, revealing that much of it was covered in dark scratches.

"What's that?" Uther wondered.

"Writings that are part history, part hope, and a little future." Aresis answered as he rolled the scroll back up and put it away. "That last part comes from Aeindarhu. And around a month ago, I was in Tel Eramin and received two directions from Aeindarhu. I was to try one final time to convince Shaaldir and his family to change their ways. Then, once that failed, I was to go through the Great Storm until I came to the Lunari and anoint someone matching your description. I had to wait until I was sure I had the right person, but eventually I knew."

"So, you did have a choice," Uther said.

"There is always a choice," Aresis replied. "But for me, there was only one option."

After this, the pair fell silent, and the only sound was the wind, the snow crunching under their feet, and the occasional hiss of a lava flow cracking the ground. Eventually, the silence was interrupted by a distant wolf howl that cut through the ongoing whistle of the wind. Other howls answered the first. Aresis stopped to listen. "It seems that we are being pursued."

"Why didn't Cegvir attack the village along with his bear?" Uther asked.

"Because I stabbed him," Aresis replied dryly. "I think he went back home to recover. The bear, however, is another matter. It should be dead. The Chaos infection must do something more than kill."

"What is that?" Uther asked. "Syrath called the bear a demon."

"That's a rather good word for it," Aresis agreed. "He is infected with Chaos, which is one of the most ancient of the Primordials, and would have passed it on to me if Nathrae did not have those herbs." Aresis patted his pouch. "I have some extras in case that bear catches up with us again."