Chapter 3

Uther and Aresis made their way to the wyrm herd. The creatures had instinctively drawn together in the absence of a leader, which made it easy for Uther to begin driving them back toward the village. Though Uther wanted to ask the old man many questions, they travelled in silence, each favoring their wounds. Occasionally, Uther had to lean on one of the healthy wyrms for support as his head spun. The further they went, the more Aresis leaned on his staff, breathing heavily. When they were about a mile away from the village, Uther heard the crunch of something hitting the snow behind him. He turned just in time to see Aresis on the ground, motionless.

Uther knelt beside him to check his pulse. Aresis was alive, but breathing shallowly. Quickly, Uther picked him up and set him on the back of one of the larger wyrms. He tied him in place with some extra rope he had in his pack. He whistled for the herd to move more quickly. The rest of the trip passed in a blur as Uther had to manage the healthy part of the herd, Japhis, who began straggling behind, and the injured old man. Most of the village had gone inside for the night. Uther hurried to the front of the herd and urged them into their cave, and then shut the gate behind them. As he cut Aresis off of the worm he was tied to, he began to wake up, breathing irregularly.

"Careful," Uther said, steading the old one. "We're almost at Nathrae's house. She'll take care of you."

Aresis mumbled something unintelligible in response. Soon, they had reached the priestess' house. Uther frowned, noticing how brightly lit the house was, and took stock of the time before he knocked. The ceremony for his mother was happening. He hesitated, but when Aresis began to slump again, Uther knew he had to take action. He opened the door. No one else was in the entryway, but a double door directly ahead led to the room where the remembrance ceremony was happening.

Uther all but carried the Aresis to the door and opened it without knocking. Inside, several candles were lit on an altar with a pair of small statues and a variety of flora. Thamuk, Garreth, and a few other villagers knelt in front of the altar as Nathrae burned incense. They all turned as the door opened unexpectedly, bringing in the bitter night air. The chief was the first one on his feet. "What are you doing here? Haven't you wyrms to watch?" He gestured at Aresis. "And who is this?"

Nathrae wasn't far behind him. "Step aside, Garreth."

The chief looked as if he wanted to argue, but held his tongue and stepped back as requested.

"Thamuk, take our guest to the infirmary," Nathrae ordered. Wordlessly, the tall warrior came over and took Aresis from Uther, who nodded his thanks. Nathrae took hold of Uther's head and examined the gash on his head. "You, go to the infirmary, too."

"I'm fine," Uther protested, attempting to twist away. "I need—"

"Releid, dear, would you bring Uther to the infirmary?" Nathrae interrupted.

Her husband rose and wrapped his arm around Uther by the shoulders, saying, "It's in your best interests to listen when she takes that tone, believe me."

As Releid pushed Uther down the hall, he began to realize how exhausted he actually was. By the time they reached the infirmary, Uther was all too ready to rest.

Nathrae entered the room a minute later and ordered Thamuk out as she began grinding some herbs in a pestle. At the same time, she directed Releid to set water to boil over the fire. She seemed to be everywhere at once, first unwinding the semi-conscious Aresis' bandage, and then preparing some more herbs before Releid pressed a hot cup of tea into Uther's hands. Nathrae probed at Aresis' wound.

"There's something in here." She called Releid over to assist her, and after digging into his forearm for a few moments she pulled out a blackened, broken tooth. "You have a fast-spreading infection," Nathrae said, brow furrowed. "Yet I have never seen an infection like this."

"Have you any crimson neem?" Aresis asked, panting.

"Aye," Nathrae nodded to Releid, who rose and retrieved the plant from the beam it hung on.

"Crush it together with angelroot, and then burn the lot. Put the ashes in the wound while they're still smouldering. That will draw out the bear's infection."

Nathrae frowned but followed his directions. Uther winced in sympathetic pain as he heard the hiss of the herbs being pushed into the seer's wound. Aresis clenched his teeth and grunted, sweat gathering on his brow. A few minutes later, Aresis began to relax.

"That's the worst of it. Clean out the ashes, and the infection will be gone."

"What was all that?" Releid asked, retrieving a bowlful of water and a rag to begin cleaning Aresis' arm.

"I should have recognized it earlier," Aresis shook his head weakly. "A Chaos infection. A Primordial." As the pair finished bandaging him, he tried to stand up. "I must go. Cegvir may return, or send that bear after us."

Releid and Nathrae caught his shoulders and pushed him back on the cot as gently. It wasn't hard.

"You're safe here," Nathrae assured him. "And besides, you wouldn't get far in your current state."

Aresis started to protest, but quickly ran out of energy and fell asleep. Nathrae stood and sighed, setting her hands on her hips as she looked down at the sleeping man. "A Terrari, and a seer no less. What's this world coming to?"

Nathrae looked over at her husband. "Could you finish the ceremony? I'll take care of Uther."

Releid nodded and left the infirmary. Nathrae retrieved a clean rag and water and came over to dress Uther's head wound more effectively. As she did, she questioned him about how they had received the wounds. Uther relayed the story to her as best he could, wincing away when she peeled off his bandage and dabbed at the wound. But that only made her grasp his head more firmly.

"Don't make this harder than it has to be, Uther." She pressed some herbs into the wound and wrapped a bandage around his head. "Have you any other wounds?"

Uther indicated his ribs, and Nathrae examined them by probing the bruised skin with her finger. "Wrestling with bears and giants is a dangerous business, young one. You've got a cracked rib or two. There isn't much to do except rest."

"I didn't exactly have a choice," Uther replied through gritted teeth. "Also, one of the wyrms, Jephis, needs help. She's got a hurt leg and several deep gashes."

"I'll take care of her." Nathrae said, putting his shirt back down. "And Uther, you always have a choice." She nudged his rucksack full of supplies to run away which sat beside the cot. "But I think you made the right one, given the circumstances. Sleep here tonight so I can keep an eye on you. And finish your tea. It'll help you sleep."

As she left the room, Uther obediently sipped his tea. As far as he knew, he was the only person he had ever met who fought a Harbinger and lived. Not even Thamuk or his father could boast of such a thing. His eyes fastened

He was barely able to set it on the stand next to his cot before he fell asleep.

A chilling scream cut through the murky depths of Uther's rest. His eyes flew open and he sat up in bed, head still throbbing. That came from just outside the house!

The scream was quickly followed by another shriek. Then, as if in response to these sounds came a long wolf howl. It was quickly joined by a chorus of what seemed like hundreds of other wolf voices. And they came from all around the village.

***

Hello! If you've read this far, please drop a vote and let me know what your favorite part of the chapter was in a comment below!