Chapter 5

"Who are you, and where do you come from?" Garreth demanded. He was seated in the ceremony room, which had been rearranged to allow him and the other village elders to take council. Nathrae and Releid, who were members of the council, looked exhausted. They had spent most of the day healing those they could and administering last rites for those who they could not. Thamuk and Uther sat outside the circle, observing quietly. Aresis stood in the middle of the circle, leaning on his staff.

"I am Aresis, a seer and prophet of Aeindarhu. I have come from Tel Eramin, the court of Lord Shaaldir, ruler of the Harbingers."

"What brings you to our village?" Nathrae asked. "We have little stake in what happens in the land of Giants."

"You are wrong," Aresis said . "Shaaldir has led the Harbingers astray and abdicated his responsibilities as given by Aeindarhu. Because of this, the Sun's Phoenix has been chained down. It struggles greatly against the Tempest holding it down, and shall end in the destruction of the world."

"Is that why the Great Storm has expanded so much?" Relied asked.

"Aye, and it shall continue growing until it either consumes the world or the struggle end," Aresis answered. "Therefore, I have been sent by Aeindarhu to anoint the one who will raise the Sun and prevent this." He reached into his satchel and produced what looked like a drinking horn with a leather cap and looked at Uther. "Come here, boy."

Uther wanted to remain seated, but he felt compelled to obey.

"Hold, Aresis," Garreth rose to his feet indignantly. "If you are to anoint anyone, it should be my eldest." Behind him, Thamuk shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

Aresis fixed the chief with his fiery gaze. "The decision is final." He put his hand on Uther's shoulder, who now stood before him. "Kneel and bow your head."

Uther obeyed. He heard Aresis open the horn and felt the cool sensation of oil being poured on his head. As he poured the oil, Aresis spoke. "As Aeindarhu's seer, I pronounce this prophecy:

By sweat and blood shall the Anointed raise the sun.

In his light, gods will defeat kings,

and commoners shall defeat gods.

Their struggle shall spark war in all families,

And peace will come with the fall of the world.

Thus says Aeindarhu."

As Aresis spoke, the oil on Uther's head and shoulders began to feel warm. He opened his eyes and looked at his hands. They seemed to be made of fire. His long white braid had glowed like embers. When Uther looked up at Aresis, he felt like he could see into him, where a red star burned. Uther rose to his feet and looked around. While his vision was limited to the room, on another level, he felt like he could see the farthest ends of the earth, where clumps of souls gathered and glowed like galaxies, some brighter than others. As he turned to face the elders, several of them gasped and one of them pointed at him, crying, "His eyes!"

Uther could see into them the same way he could see into Aresis, and each of them carried a star in their chest, too. But as he continued looking, they faded away, leaving him in a world of stars separated by darkness, before that, too faded.

***

Once again, Uther woke up in the infirmary. I really need to break this habit.

He looked over to see Thamuk sitting beside his bed with Aresis behind him.

"Feeling alright?" Thamuk asked.

Uther nodded. "Just a little thirsty."

Thamuk poured him some water. Once Uther drank it, Thamuk asked, "Do you feel up to standing?"