Chapter 1: Nothing but Good Behavior

DAWN

1, 2, 3, 4... I counted repeatedly until the harsh teeth of my comb finally stops digging down my skull. My mother dropped the comb in the dull beige dresser and proceeded to dust off invisible dirt on my pleaded skirt.

"Remember, dear. Nothing but best behavior." she reminded me for the nth time. "You are your family. A Lopez. And you ought not to disrespect nor embarrass your own blood." she said.
"Do you understand?" She added, as if her words weren't tattooed on my skin already. "Come now, dear. You'll be late."

Clean, sit, and read. It was always the same thing over and over again. I was bred and disciplined to represent my family. And it was their plan to send me off to a boarding school where posh students are expected to learn. But really, it's nothing but a mask of faded reality. The truth is, they send their kids there as a form of business. Some for arrange marriage, some for wealth status, and many more. My mother always taught me who to be friends with and who I should not. If it wasn't enough, she gave me a list if who I should and should not be entangled with. Told me it would be easier as soon as I graduate.
And I myself for once, think it's easy. After all the readings and locked up in the manor, I don't see myself flaunting around in an academy with friends.
I wasn't a loner. I have quite a number of friends. It's just that after my mom found out, she immediately dropped ten pounds worth of books and made me read day and night while calling my friends 'despicable influence.'

The car stopped in front of a huge castle-like academy. Trees surrounded the area, as the breeze of wind and dark clouds covered the sky. Ladenbroun Academy was said to be a prestigious school for my likes. The Academy stood proudly upon a hill. It was secluded with tight security, yet large enough to fit horses, pools, golf course and many more.
Only the finest. they say. "Good morning, Mr. and Mrs. Lopez." A woman around her fourties welcomed us with a tight smile. Her grey pencil skirt and boring grey blazer was enough to tell me she works here. "Ms. Dawn Lopez." She offered her hand, to which I politely shook. "Lovely to finally meet you dear." She took a step backward as she led me and my parents inside, all awhile giving introductions and preparations on what's about to come.

"Inside the academy, she'll be prep for discipline, academics, and most of all, etiquette. We, the Ladenbroun Academy promise you that she'll be of best hands and finest comfort." She assured my parents, as she led them inside an office.

'Baroness' was embedded in a plaque of gold, sitting on top of a table along with files, documents, and computer.
"I would like to remove my daughter to any physical activities the campus proposes." What a surprise. If I wasn't so polite and disciplined from the start, sarcasm would've rained this office as soon as we got in. But no. I kept quiet between my parents, and sat straight. "Women shouldn't be learning how to run in the first place." my mom added. "I advice to remove her from any type of sports. She shall be studying and learning. Nothing more, nothing less."

Before the woman behind the table could say anything, the door opened, revealing a man.
"Mr. Reidson. I'd appreciate it if you knock next time." His lips curled upwards before letting out a soft "Sure." invalidating the Baroness before him.
Icarus Reidson. I remembered him from the list my mother made for me. No wonder his name was one with the red lines under it. He was plainly rude. Not minding the arched eyebrows people were giving him inside the room.

His dark hair was well kept. Polished shoes roam the office as if it was his own. Despite his rude behaviors, he still wore elegance and class on his sleeves. He darted to where me and my parents sat, probably sensing our presence. His eyes roams past me as if I was an air in the room.
"Mr. Lopez." He greeted. Yet a sly mischief of arrogance didn't slip past my father. Of course he saw the arrogance in them. His tightened jaw says it all.
Yes. This male before us has a touch of darkness in him. I decided, evaluating his tall frame and dark features.