11. Chased By

Butterflies erupt in the pit of your stomach.

They are uncalled for. The Spring season is still long from now, many months away.

But for some reason, monarchs and swallowtails have migrated to your stomach, fluttering and flapping its wings, making an obnoxious show of themselves. You're not so sure if you welcome the feeling or the way your face is heating.

"Y/n?"

He lowers himself down, blinking in front of your face. It snaps you out of your trance.

"I'm sorry. What?"

The corner of his mouth tugs, gentle and soft. "I was just saying how good of a job you were doing. I'm impressed considering you're supposed to be the newbie, but you're doing a better job than the others. But I don't know what I should've expected, chickpea. You always manage to exceed expectations and surprise me."

It's difficult repressing your smile and you hate the way you're becoming flustered. It ruins the image you've constructed completely. "You flatter me."

"I'm telling the truth," Seokjin corrects. "You deserve to get praised once in a while, Y/n. It's okay. And I mean it. It's nice having you around as it's one less thing I have to worry about."

You glance down at your shoes before looking up at the older man. "I don't think Jungkook would be happy if he knew you were showing favoritism to team members."

Jin bursts out laughing and nods. "I'm not showing blind favoritism, unless pointing out that someone's doing objectively well is favoritism. And if Jeon wants me to praise him too then he should pick up the pace."

You feel your cheeks warm and the corners of Seokjin's lips are tilted, looking plush and inviting.

Your mouth parts-

"Um, excuse me?" And your voice is interrupted by someone's deeper timbre.

The two of you crane your necks over to where Taehyung's standing less than five inches away, arms crossed, eyes glaring, not entertained by what's happening in front of him. He clears his throat obnoxiously, asserting his dominance and giving you an irritated look.

You forgot he was standing there.

"Oh yeah, I should probably let you get going."

Seokjin turns, continuing in the direction he was going towards and it's not hard to admit that you're disheartened. You wish he would stay around and talk to you a little more. You enjoy Jin's company.

"I'll see you around, chickpea. Keep up the good work. You too, Mr. Kim."

"It's Taehyung," the younger shouts as the lead bodyguard walks away.

Taehyung huffs out in frustration before grabbing your shoulder, forcing you to turn your head and look straight at where you're doing. You flinch slightly at his touch unintentionally, but you don't move away, far too sad to see Seokjin go.

"What's so great about him?"

"What's so great about who?"

The pair of you step outside, moving towards the car and you press a button on the keys to unlock it, opening the passenger door to usher him inside.

Taehyung gets in with a pout. With the driver absent for the day, you were driving and he preferred that anyways, when it was just the two of you and no one else. But you still insist on him sitting in the back in case something happens.

You slide yourself into the driver's seat, putting the keys into the ignition and letting the engine roar to life. In the meanwhile, Taehyung shuffles up, propping his chin on the leather headrest.