8. Collision

He's in the shadows, bending over, peeking over the plotted plants to the guards at the door.

His eyes narrow, wondering how he'll distract them. Freedom is so close. Perhaps he could just jump out of a window rather than walking through the door. It's not like he hasn't done that before. The only trade off is that he'll get a mouthful from colliding with the bushes which he can always spit out.

But Taehyung doesn't get the opportunity to sneak off into a room and open a window.

Your hand is thrown on his shoulder and he flinches in shock.

"Where do you think you're going?"

He cranes his neck around, smile guilty. "Caught me, huh?"

"You're not allowed to leave without anyone-"

"-protecting me, yeah, yeah, whatever, I get it, dumbo. It's just so boring. Admit it. You were getting bored too. It's just all political talk that I can care less about." Taehyung turns around fully, hands digging into his pants pockets. "I just wanted to ride my bike for a little bit. It's really nice outside right now. Weather's good."

"You have your bike here?"

"I have my teal one here. So what do you say? Can I go? As long as you come with me, I'm allowed to do whatever I want, right?"

It's ridiculous that he goes first and asks later.

For now, you press a button against your earpiece. "Standby. Kim Taehyung's in the East Wing by the red room."

A voice returns. "Copy."

You look back at the man with blonde hair swept back, brows thick, lips thin and eyes full of trouble. "You should tell me if you want to ride your bike."

His grin expands. "For the record, I'm telling you now."

"If they saw a fast moving figure in the dark, you'd get shot at."

"Well, thank god you found me when you did then." He rocks back and forth from his toes to his heel. "So what's your final decision, dumbo? Are you joining me or not?"

He already knows the answer.

You have no choice. You're merely obligated to protect him.

So when you walk off, Taehyung laughs and follows after you, quickening his pace to match yours.

The grounds are dark, light coming from inside the house and the twinkling stars above. Aside from the laughter and music that leaks past window cracks, there's the sound of crickets and the rustle of leaves from trees nearby. It's indeed peaceful.

The warm wind grazes against your cheeks and for a long moment, you take it all in, letting the atmosphere soak into a quieted mind.

You don't notice Taehyung gazing at the profile of your face.

"Nice, right? I'd be a waste to be stuck inside." He looks away, propping his bike up and grabbing the handles. With you reporting his actions, he doesn't need to worry about being shot at and eliminated as a potential threat.

"This bike isn't as good as my other one but it's still decent. It's my old one that I use as backup now. One of my bodyguards previously slammed into this one. Nearly killed me trying to chase after me."

"Maybe you shouldn't try to run away."

"But that's half the fun." He throws his leg over, sitting down. "Take a seat, dumbo."

"Where's your helmet?"

"I'm fine without it, dumbo. Don't worry so much. Just this once, okay? And if I happen to fall, you'll catch me, right? Just stop talking and get on before we're attacked by bugs out here."