12. Kidnapped

It comes out of nowhere, taking you by surprise.

"I wish you weren't my bodyguard."

Your head whirls around, blinking at him for a second too long. "Why?"

Taehyung shrugs, looking off into the night sky wistfully. "So you're not bound by any responsibility. You'd be here because you'd want to and not because you were forced to. We'd just be friends. But then again, who am I kidding? I know you probably wouldn't stick around if you had a choice."

"That's not true."

The college boy peeks at you carefully, his hands digging into his pockets. He's in a contemplative mood, maybe even a sad one, so you choose your words carefully, "I was around when you were a kid."

He scoffs, but a smile begins to tug at his thin lips. "Didn't your dad make you babysit me?"

"No."

If it was getting technical, you were supposed to play with Taehyung. Together. The two of you were gathered to get out of the adults' hair. But of course, you didn't like to play and he liked to play way too much.

More specifically, Taehyung liked to pester you and you were bound by an untold responsibility of having to make sure he didn't accidentally set his clothes on fire. But you won't tell him that. "I could've ditched you, but I didn't."

"I guess." He laughs, gaze softening on you and making you oddly uncomfortable. "I'm glad to hear it, Y/n."

Someone chirps beside you, destroying the intimate moment. "Bodyguard or not, we're still friends, Taehyung!" Jimin grins a bright smile, eyes crinkling, poking his head closer.

Taehyung's lips fall to the side, expression disintegrating. "I wasn't talking to you."

"Oh." He looks straight ahead and perks up again, recovering quickly despite Taehyung's cold shoulder. "Looks like the car's here!"

"God!" The college boy groans. "Can I please go pee before we leave?"

You glance at him. "Can't you wait?"

"No. Unless you want me to pee myself."

There's yet another stare down and Jimin waits for your decision. You end up giving in, reluctantly obliging and the other bodyguard flashes a big thumbs up, reassuring you that everything will be fine as he follows Taehyung extremely closely into the public washroom.

The President's son looks like he wants to smash his head against the brick wall, get a concussion to take him away from this misery and call it a day. You sympathize.

It's not like Taehyung particularly hates Jimin. He was just sensitive lately with the extra protection and of being cooped up and having to return to the Blue House every single day. His privacy was being stolen for his own protection, under constant watch by everyone around.

Adding Jimin to the fire didn't help. You're aware that he's being driven crazy by the other man. After all, Taehyung's always preferred when it was just you and him, a small tight-knit group that didn't draw a lot of attention.

And Jimin's presence was also constantly radiating energy, to say the least. While you weren't bothered, it could be easily irritating, but seeing him getting on Taehyung's nerves was especially entertaining to you.

You're just surprised that Taehyung's lasted this long under these circumstances.

Unfortunately for him though, there seemed to be no end in sight. The people who had chased you and him a week ago was still unfound. Every lead was a dead-end. There was nowhere for the investigation to go.