xChapter 36 - The East Side (3)

Over an hour ago, before the gala began, Hunter was sitting by himself in Burrito Bistro eating some nachos. On the TV in the restaurant was a news report covering the upcoming gala. The only other person in the restaurant is Mesto-Presto, one of the employees.

"You know I need to close up, right?" Mesto says as he's taking off his green apron and putting on a plaid jacket.

"Yeah sure just make me another burrito Burrito Boy," Hunter says as he continues to eat.

Mesto rolls his eyes as he just continues to get ready for closing, including sweeping and grabbing his bag. Eventually, Mesto finishes closing the store as he turns off the lights, turns the sign from "open" to "closed", and locks the front door to the restaurant. As Mesto begins to walk home, he's followed by Hunter Huntingson whose still munching on his nachos.

"What do you want?" Mesto-Presto asks.

"I'm just looking out for you Burrito Boy, these streets can be pretty dangerous," Hunter replies.

"Don't worry I can handle a lot on my own," Mesto awkwardly states. "Besides I'm not that older than you."

"You sure? Because you look like you're thirty with that gray hair of yours."

"...it's blonde hair and I'm 16."

"You're 16?! How come I've never seen you at school? And am I color blind?" Hunter questions.

"I...I don't really go to school. Not anymore," Mesto replies.

As silence fills the air, the two continue to walk, Hunter looks at Mesto and notices that despite being just two years older, Mesto looks much more composed and stable than Hunter. Almost as if he's been through a lot.

Though before Hunter can linger on that thought for too long, they suddenly hear a window getting smashed nearby. The two look over to the source of the sound and discover it came from the nearby Starlight High.

"Is someone trying to break into the school?" Hunter thinks out loud.

"We should probably let some people know," Mesto states as he takes out his phone to alert the authorities however Hunter stops him.

"There's no need," Hunter says as he draws out his metal baseball bat, "I can take care of it myself!"

As Hunter walks over to the high school, Mesto sighs as he follows him, just so he can stop Hunter from doing something too reckless.

As the two reach the front door of the school, they look to see that one of the doors clearly has a smashed window and it looks bent. Hunter opens the door carefully and the two walk into the high school.

The only source of light in the school coming from the moonlight outside, the two teens walk down the dark hallways as they start to hear the sound of dirt being dug up and tossed aside.

As the two get closer to the source of the noise, they realize it is coming from the cafeteria. As the two enter the cafeteria, they realize that the noise is coming from the kitchen. Hunter grips his baseball bat tightly as he rushes toward the kitchen.

"Wait a second!" Mesto whispers as he tries to stop Hunter from running.

But alas, Mesto is too slow as Hunter bursts through into the kitchen to see that it is covered in candlelight as a ginger teen and a muscular man with a red durag are digging a hole in the kitchen.

"Hey you bastards, what the hell are you doing?" Hunter snarls.

"Uhhhhhh groundskeeping?" The ginger teen responds.

"Oh okay, my bad," Hunter says as he begins to walk away.

Mesto, the ginger teen, & the man in the durag all look stunned at how that lie managed to work. However just when Hunter is about to leave the kitchen, he quickly turns around and slams his bat into the ginger teen's head.

"Bullshit you are! You're just doing the same thing as that intern did!" Hunter smirks.

However, Hunter's smile soon fades as he sees that the ginger teen managed to catch the metal bat with his left hand, stopping the attack.

"Hey Graham, you finish digging, I'll take care of the two pests," the ginger teen says as he lets go of the bat and rolls up the sleeves on his hoodie, revealing his arms are covered in sports tape.

"Just make it quick Blanko," Graham Dirt, the man in the durag responds.

"Don't worry," Blanko Deck, the ginger teen, replies, "They look like easy pickin'."

As Blanko rushes over, Hunter goes to swing his bat at Blanko, however, Blanko manages to dodge the attack, grab the bat, kick Hunter back, allowing him to take the bat, and then toss it behind him. As Hunter sees the bat fly away he sees Blanko rush him with several jabs and hooks. Hunter grits through the pain and goes for an overhand hook but Blanko dodges and kicks Hunter in his calf.

"Nice try but you're too slow!" Blanko shouts.

Hunter, furious, decides to tackle Blanko to the ground and the two begin to fight one another on the ground. As the two roll around, they bump into one of the shelves causing a candle to fall. Blanko, trying to reach for something to hit Hunter, grabs the bag on Mesto's back and slams it into Hunter's head.

Hunter finally lets go and Blanko takes the opportunity to get back up and back away from him.

"You're tougher than you look," Blanko admits.

"Yeah well, now you got me fired up!" Hunter grunts.

As Hunter is about to rush Blanko again, Graham exits the hole that they were digging and has an object with him. A wooden box that is sealed with a lock.

"We're done here," Graham replies.

"I see, well it's been fun but we got places to be," Blanko admits.

"You won't get away with this!" Hunter yells.

However as everyone else was preoccupied, what they forgot about was that the candle that fell on the ground was still lit. While this wouldn't be a problem usually, the main issue came from the fact that whoever was last in the kitchen left an oil spill on the floor, an oil spill that the lit candle would roll into.

As flames erupted in the room, instead of staying around to chat all four of the group agreed simultaneously that the best course of action was to book it the fuck out of there.

As Hunter, Blanko, Mesto, & Graham all began sprinting out of the high school, Blanko adds, "You don't think it's gonna be bad, right?"

Unfortunately for them, as soon as they got outside the group realized that it was pretty bad considering that the fire already spread through most of the school.

Mesto, Hunter, Blanko, & Graham are all completely silent as the fire continues to engulf the high school.

However, for Hunter, his face turns to horror as he remembers something. Hunter starts to run towards the school however Mesto grabs him.

"ARE YOU TRYING TO GET YOURSELF KILLED?" Mesto yells.

"MY BABY! I LEFT MY BABY!" Hunter yells as he sobs.

Mesto starts to panic as he looks at the school, and he says, "Where'd you leave your baby!?"

"I LEFT IT IN THE KITCHEN!"

"WHY WOULD YOU BRING A BABY!"

"BECAUSE HOW ELSE AM I GOING TO CRACK SKULLS OPEN!"

It was at this moment that Mesto realized Hunter wasn't talking about a human baby, but rather his metal baseball bat.

"Yeah, we aren't going back in," Mesto states.

"LET ME GO!" Hunter struggles.

"I SAID YOU'RE STAYING HERE!" Mesto yells back.

As Mesto struggles to keep Hunter still, Blanko & Graham seize the opportunity to get in their car and get the fuck out of the area.

As the group drives off to pick up Vanessa, the high school continues to burn down.

And as the night went on and more people showed up, one question begins to enter everyone's mind.

"What happens next?"

See You Next Chapter!~