Chapter 5

Logan stood in the window of his cell drawing on his trestle board in the moonlight. His mind calculating the approximate day he'd be transported to the State of Florida in response to his request for final disposition of an outstanding warrant that he'd made pursuant to the interstate agreement on detainers earlier in the month. The agreement, which most states are party to basically allows a prisoner to urge a state with a warrant for their arrest to either come get them while serving a sentence in another state to be brought before the court to answer the charges within six months or dismiss them. The old warrant stemmed from resisting arrest  charge over 15 years ago and now that Logan was nearing his release date the detainer complicated matters since he'd be held for the state of Florida at the time of his release while either he either fought or waved extradition. He'd filed the request for final disposition to avoid this and go down to Florida to answer the charges before his release date. This was advantageous because essentially he'd get credit time for both sentences if he were convicted in Florida, killing two birds with one stone, even if he was the stone. It would work out that he'd be serving the remainder of his current sentence while serving any Florida sentence.  Florida came for Logan 4 days later and Logan was shackled into a contracted prisoner transport bus and enroute to the state of Florida's Orange County jail in Orlando. The trip took 13 days as they picked up and dropped off other prisoners across the US. It wasn't exactly a straight trip and the bus broke down in Georgia where they set roadside for 3 days amid sweltering heat. 7 women and 16 Men like a slave gallery beneath a Viking ship the scene and the smell was horrible.  After a few days in Orange County Logan's public defender appeared. Young, bright eyed and not yet rendered pessimistic by the lack of balance and parity between indigent defense and well funded prosecution, the young attorney smiled as she said to Logan: "I've got great news for you. The cops that arrested you don't even work for the police department anymore. So if we indicate that we want to try this case the state will probably just drop it or offer some amicable resolution. A plea bargain if you will" Logan had taken the police on a high speed chase in a rental car that the attorney he'd been working for as a paralegal had provided him with. He'd crashed while trying to get away and woke up to a bright blinding light. The police arrested him and took him to the Orange County jail. When they found out he was a fugitive from another state, he was promptly extradited back to the state from whence he'd jumped bail, where he was tried, convicted and sent to prison to serve 2 consecutive 5 years sentences. Halfway into his 2nd sentence, he was eligible for the state's drug treatment program and an early release if he completed it.  There is where Logan met John and where he was now heading back to. Florida was a dog and pony show,  the judge happened to be the lawyer he had worked for as a paralegal all those years ago and crashed her car. She didn't even recognize him or at least she acted like she didn't. The state offered up a plea of guilty to a misdemeanor resisting and stipulated time served. The trip back to prison would take nine days.