Chapter 8

Monday Morning

Lenna watched as Ethan crossed the street and got into his car. "I need an eggnog latte—make it a double."

Lenna began working on the second customer's two-drink order as Katie worked on the first customer's three-drink order, and both finished at about the same time.

"If your eyes could send messages as he left," Katie said playfully, "it would be hearts."

"Nah, he's just an old friend," Lenna said, but she suspected Katie had a point. Seeing him made her heart pound. She would have to keep her wits about her.

"He was the kind of friend you fantasized about wearing a wedding dress for." Kati handed the last customer her order.

"Fat chance of that," Lenna said, turning away. "He broke my heart; I don't trust him." Lenna thought momentarily and added, "You may need to remind me of that."

"You noticed he hasn't lost his sense of humor, right?" Katie turned toward the espresso machine to prepare Lenna's latte.

"I wouldn't say even if I did," Lenna said as she wiped down the counter.

"You pulled the card out quickly when he suggested lunch." Katie finished the latte and handed it to Lenna.

"Thank you," Lenna said and smiled at her friend.

The pace of the work was strenuous, and Lenna wondered how Katie could work behind the counter all day. The early morning rush ended at about 8:30, giving Lenna a few moments to see how her best friend was doing.

"Have you heard anything more from your accountant?" Lenna asked.

"Yes, it's complicated," Katie said. "It's an estate issue. Do you remember Colleen Miller, Mom's friend? She died last November. Anyway, the executor of the will claims our business is a part of her estate."

"I don't understand," Lenna said. "How can that be?"

"Colleen provided most of the initial start-up cash," Katie said. "To protect her interest, Mom made her a silent partner and put her on the business license, business account, and LLC paperwork. Mom paid her back years ago, but we never took her off the paperwork. It was on our 'must-do' list, but we never got to it."

"How could they freeze your account?" Lenna asked. "Is that even legal?

"We asked our attorney to start working on it," Katie said. "In the meantime, we've had to withdraw money from our savings, but we'll be all right. It's just frustrating."

"Then you can make payroll after all?" Lenna asked.

"As of now, yes," Katie said. "But to get our business account back, we'll have to go before a judge and get an injunction, which could take some time. I can't ask my employees to work and not pay them. Our investment firm said our funds should transfer by Wednesday, but I'm not optimistic. It's the Christmas season, and everything is slower."

"This must be hard on your employees," Lenna said. "It's Christmas Eve Friday, and I'm sure your employees are counting on a paycheck."

"We've talked to our employees about that, so they know," Katie said. "For the most part, they have been understanding. We have built a good team, and I would hate to lose any of them."

"I'm sure they know that," Lenna said.

A customer entering the shop ended their discussion. She ordered four lattes, and both women began tamping coffee grounds into a filter.

After the customer left, Katie said, "I need to tell you something. Colleen's grandson is someone we both know, and I'm afraid he is a bad memory for us." Katie paused and took longer than usual to tell the rest of her news. "He's Aaron Madison."