Chapter 21

Wednesday Afternoon

Mr. Hammond and Jon replaced the back-door door jam, rehung the door, and began reinforcing the door that opened into the garage. After lunch, Jon ran into town to get materials to reinforce the wall between the entry and garage. A friend of Jon's with a blade attached to his pickup cleared the snow from the driveway. Micki and Ms. Hammond cleaned up the kitchen and began planning the evening meal as they shared tea at the breakfast nook.

Katie and Lenna settled in her bedroom's overstuffed chairs and talked as they watched the snow fall onto the trees bordering the lawn. Brutus was sprawled out at Lenna's feet, watching for an animal to emerge from the forest.

"I was surprised to see Ethan Monday," Lenna said. "I didn't expect to see him in the shop."

"You knew he was in town," Katie said. "Why hadn't you given him a call just to chat."

"I don't know," Lenna said with a shrug. "Maybe I didn't want to open old wounds. Besides, we're not the same people as those kids ten years ago."

"I don't remember thinking we were kids back then."

"Yeah, that was probably part of our problem. We were just kids, thinking we were adults. Anyway, the damage is done. Ethan and I could never rebuild what we felt for each other then, and it would be pitiful if we tried and failed—I would hate him all the more."

"Don't you both deserve a second chance?" Katie asked. "I don't want to be that pesky friend, but think about it. You're making a lifelong decision about this man. You loved him once, and he loved you. If you don't explore the possibilities now, you may regret it for the rest of your life?"

Lenna diverted her eyes from the snowy forest to her friend. "Outside of my family, you're the only person who has loved me consistently. You have stood by me through my crises and shed many tears with me. One is fortunate to find one person who would be the person you are to me during their lifetime."

Katie reached out and took Lenna's hand. "Remember when WE took that chance? I'd failed you terribly, but we still took a chance on each other. I was ashamed. I was sure everyone in school knew and was talking behind my back. I couldn't bear it. Then you met me at the school entrance and held my hand as we walked the hallway in front of whispering students to my first class. Then you stood at the classroom door long enough to ensure I was seated and gave me a warm smile. That day, nothing else mattered."

Feeling her eyes fill with moisture, Lenna returned her gaze to the falling snow. "We made that choice, didn't we?"

"Yes," Katie said. "Our choice was that our friendship trumps momentary pain."

Both women sat silently. A gust of wind disturbed the falling snow. A branch burdened by its white load quivered, and snow, falling from the branch, scattered in the wind, merging with the fresh flakes until one could not tell which flakes were from the past and which were fresh from the present.

"I just realized something, my friend. You've asked me what I've asked of my brother and Micki. You're so right: friendship trumps momentary pain. Maybe I've been so focused on my pain that I've failed to remember that Ethan was my friend. My pain has pushed him away, and I pushed God away, too, I guess."

"Oh, my God," Katie exclaimed. "I think my prayer partner request has just been answered."

Before Katie left that afternoon, Lenna gave her Andrea's gift. "I planned to put this on Andrea's desk sometime this week, but I doubt I'll be going to the office. Can you please give her a call? Maybe she could pick it up."

"I'll do better than that," Katie said. "She and I have a coffee date on Friday."

The friends hugged. Brutus squeezed in for his little bit of attention. Lenna watched from the brow windows in the living room as Katie disappeared around the first corner.