Chapter 12

Monday Evening

Lenna closed her laptop at 6:15 pm, slid it into her shoulder bag, and placed it under her desk. She freshened her hair and makeup, and by 6:30, she was standing at the glass doors. Ten minutes later, Richard entered the parking lot, pulled up to the entrance, and opened the passenger door.

"Good evening, Ms. Hammond," Richard said. "I trust you had a good day."

"Other than problems starting my car, my day had its good moments," Lenna said.

"Is the old rust bucket about to give up the ghost?"

Lenna sighed. "Not the car, Richard. Perhaps the alternator or battery."

"If the alternator light isn't on, it's probably the battery. It may be corroded battery cables. How old is the battery?"

"Old enough."

"Fine. I'll help you with that."

"Thank you. Other than problems starting my car, I helped Katie at her shop, lunched with my sister, and now supper with you." She felt guilty not mentioning she had talked to an old boyfriend.

"Not a terrific start to my day," Richard said as he eased his car into traffic. "This afternoon, we found a sixteen-year-old girl we'd been looking for. She wasn't very conversational."

"Is she another possible victim of abuse?" Lenna asked.

"We think so," Richard said. "We were following up on a rumor circulating among the students at Riverview High School, and it came down to her. The rumor was vague, but it was enough to look for her."

"She would be the sixth victim, right?" Lenna asked.

"It depends on how much certainty one wants to attribute to those on our list," Richard said. "But this one is different. The rumor said she's currently being abused. She dropped out of school a month ago, has had no contact with her friends, and her dad hasn't heard from her since she disappeared. I found it strange he didn't seem concerned. Anyway, we finally found her on the streets in Seattle."

"That's strange for a dad," Lenna said. "Did he file a missing person's report?"

"No. The school records indicate they talked to him, and he said she had gone to live with an aunt," Richard said. "We talked to the dad, and he verified that. He also said he has had no contact with her since she moved. The aunt is the mom's sister. Mom, by the way, is also on the streets with a history of drug addiction."

"How about Dad's history?" Lenna asked.

"He has quite an arrest history: possession, sale of a controlled substance, break-ins, and assault, including sexual assault."

"Huh, an outstanding citizen," Lenna said. "How about his daughter? Is there any history of drug use?"

"We have our suspicions but nothing substantial," Richard said. "And, of course, she denied it."

"Did she say where she's living?" Lenna said.

"She wouldn't say," Richard said. "I mean, she wouldn't say anything. Police didn't have a reason to hold her, so they let her go."

"I don't suppose she's much different than hundreds of young women in the state," Lenna said. "Did she accept any services?"

"Services were offered, but she didn't want any."

"She doesn't seem to fit in with the group you told me about Saturday."

"Except for one thing," Richard said. "They were all from troubled families."

"That doesn't seem coincidental," Lenna said. "So, the perpetrator preys on a vulnerable population and uses coercion to keep them silent. Could it be you're dealing with more than one perpetrator?"

Richard fell silent, and Lenna looked at the bright seasonal lights as they drove east on Allen Street.

"So, where is this fancy restaurant?" Lenna asked as they crossed over the Cowlitz River.

"I wouldn't classify it as fancy," Richard said. "It's more like cozy with character."

"Okay," Lenna said with resignation, "I want double cheese, onions, black olives, and green peppers."

Lenna was surprised to find the date meant pizza and a movie at the Pizza and Theater Pub. If she had known, she would have dressed more casually. They came here on occasion, especially when showing a film Richard liked. Richard parked on the street, and they walked into the theater together. While Richard ordered their pizza at the counter, Lenna filled beverage cups at the dispenser.

Lenna found an empty table, took off her coat, and draped it over a chair. Richard arrived and placed a ticket on the table with the number that would appear on the monitor above the counter when their pizza was ready. As Lenna looked around, she felt conspicuous in her camel coat. A shirt was bad enough. The accepted attire was sweatshirts, jeans, and sneakers. A few patrons were in sweats, and Lenna doubted they felt as uncomfortable as she. Lenna frowned and felt resentful, and she decided this would be the last time she would accept a date without knowing the destination.

"Is there anything new about the girl in the car?" Lenna asked.

"It's Carla. Dental records," Richard said without expression. "The police reviewed the gas station's security footage, but so far, nothing. No discernible prints on the cooler door either."

"How about the gas pump?"

"All prints were smugged."

"All dead ends," Lenna sighed.

"Not exactly. The cashier identified Carla. She's a regular. She also said she had seen the man before but couldn't remember if he was with anyone or not."

"Isn't that still a dead end?"

"There is a chance that the male may be a local. The police are circulating his photo. Perhaps we'll get lucky."

Richard looked over Lenna's shoulders and said, "We're up." He got up from the table and headed toward the counter.

Lenna's shoulders slumped, and she sat back in her chair. Thoughts of Carla whirled in her mind: the worried expression on her face, how she stepped back from the male, and the nervous twitch of her hand. I should've done something. I should've helped her.

Richard returned with the pizza, two paper plates, and a fistful of napkins. Lenna pulled a piece of pizza from the box and placed it on her plate.

The house lights dimmed, and a movie flicked to life on the screen.

When she looked toward the screen, she noticed a male silhouette a couple of tables away that looked like Andy. She was far from certain, but even the suspicion he was nearby sent shock waves through her body. The darkness of the theater didn't help.

Lenna moved her chair closer to Richard.