Expeditionary Force - Isekai

Neu Berg Wing, Directorate of Defense Building

At nightfall, Chitose and Ibuki emerged from the palace with spores of rugged deep khaki cotton infesting their master's shirt and trousers. Even the Buick Century ahead was olive, unlike any of the Life Guards' Black Fleet. Chitose stepped in front of him and caught her from bumping off balance. As his hands slid away, Chitose blocked him again.

"Master, what is the meaning of this?"

That was a lie. She knew it, he knew it, and yet here they were.

"I don't see any reason to remind you after making my intentions clear in the arrangement."

"We were not told of this."

He shot back at Ibuki. "No. You weren't."

She flinched. His expressionlessness contradicted his tone, yet Ibuki took a step forward.

"But this is beyond protocols. We have yet to requisition escort fighters, base security, and...!"

"I reckon those protocols only apply to me as guidelines with respect to my safety. You two still have your duties to attend to, so get to it. We're done here."

With those final words, the two bowed as their master stormed past them and stepped inside the staff car. Chitose's eyes followed his departing figure disappearing at the turn, grappling with every beat, every breath, and every thought she dedicated to him that has become a hindrance.

In the chaos of her mind, memories flicker like distorted reflections in a broken mirror. The feverish fingers tracing his warmth all over her body, the whispered promises of their future — she clung to them like the edge of a cliff. But now, they serve only as twisted reminders of a love that was never truly hers, a love that was nothing but a cruel illusion.

Chitose clutched her chest, yearning solace in the chaotic rhythm of her heartbeat. The ache was unbearable, as if her heart itself is being torn apart, piece by agonizing piece. How could this be? How could the one she loved, the one who was meant to complete her, betray her so callously?

In the depths of her shattered heart, demanded vengeance, to reclaim what is rightfully hers, to extinguish the existence of the one who has dared to steal her beloved. But she knew. She knew what she had done. Everything would continue, but the absence of their master's warmth left a void that would be hard to fill, a void whose roads to the chasm were paved by her deeds.

Chitose watched as Ibuki unraveled before her eyes. The signs had been there for a while, but tonight was different. She caught Ibuki as her legs gave way. And yet she found no strength nor the purpose to get back up. They can't. As they lay on the pavement, shattered and broken, Chitose's heart bled with a pain that cut deeper than any blade.

Ibuki trembled, taking off her glasses, and her composed demeanor crumbled into a gaze peering into the abyss. Yet, amidst the storm of my fractured emotions, a raw and devastating sorrow emerged. Chitose mourned not only the loss but also the loss of her own self. The depths of her obsession have swallowed her whole, leaving nothing but a broken shell of the person she once was.

Then it went dark. White-yellowish dots floated alongside the tapestry of stars until they blurred, the pain too overwhelming to bear. The tears flow freely, mingling with the pools of shattered dreams beneath her. In this moment of heartbreak, she became trapped within the labyrinth of her own obsession, tormented by the ghost of a desire that has twisted her into something unrecognizable.

Something cold and warm dripped from her cheek. The Life Guards looked at her, one motion away from completing one step. Chitose sat up as the world around her spun into a haze of despair, forever bound to the shackles of broken love — a love that has consumed her and everyone, heart and soul. And in the brokenness, the shattered remnants of herself, forever lost in the abyss of a love that was doomed from the start, remained.