Gods and Fate Part 1

Fortress City Nashisuto
Days in-country: 6
(One day after the Expedition and Second Knight Order left)

The clock tower tolled another fruitless day of obscured fate, of plots unmoved around a map almost a week past their due, Canarian plots near an encirclement between the resting Imperials and the rising monsters. And it cannot wait anymore.

"Destriul, what is going on up there?"

Has the Empire made its move on the Kangdo Margravate? But they'd know by now. Could their messenger trail be overrun or compromised? The door creaked open. Duchess Karen Lautrec's closest friend and aide, Maria, returned.

"Is the scouting party assembled?"

"We've gathered the adventurers who'll take up the scout mission. However, a girl dressed and armed as the mercenaries with Princess Iris's knights is among them."

"What?"

"Karen, I couldn't believe it myself. I had the spymaster send his agents. Two are settling here, both girls younger than us and, I dare say, below eighteen."

Children.

"The guild knew her beforehand when they tried to sell their goods, so her assessment was rough at best."

"And that was enough to qualify her?"

Since when did the strength that had always complemented the Adventurous Spirit rot that easily?

"No. That and the knights' endorsement were building up to that. Their skills...when they signed up for the guild one of the nasty pieces of veteran work took their chance. I saw the injuries. Corroborated witness testimonies. It could only be done by an exemplary knight or an otherworlder."

Karen gulped. What kind of people did he associate with? "What of the other mercenaries?"

"They have parted ways. They were planning to retire."

"Where is the one who answered our call now?"

"At the assembly area."

"And the other?"

"The last report says she's visiting various businesses, finding a job. She's keeping her options high."

Hopefully, it stayed that way.

The expansive window had a full view of the city and northern frontier. It was a sight of unquestionable beauty and inspiration many can no longer feast on. But as the chimneys still billowed hard and honest labor and the streets remained clean from innocent blood, the sacrifices and deaths before them were not in vain.

It was a foggy morning. It's questionable whether the scouts would ride out in such a condition.

Huh? What is that?

Karen squinted. She couldn't help but notice something shimmering from the road beyond the mist and went to the telescope. She adjusted the zoom, making out a human-shaped silhouette emerging, yet she could not determine who. It wouldn't amount to her curiosity, but more appeared from behind.

There came one and then followed by three. And before them came a row of four...no five...the row expanded beyond the scope. Karen stepped away from the telescope and prayed for the first time for a long time she was dreaming. She turned to Maria, pale and pulling her staff closer to her with trembling fingers.

The towers over the walls lit their signal flames, and the bell tolled restlessly. Figures emerged from the mist in hundreds, marching in formations, following arrays grouped in military order.