01.) Chapter One

Deep in the middle of the Seven seas laid a great city full of wonder and awe. Casadomis, the capital of the sea, was the soul of the ocean and where the Siren royal family dwelled. The city was filled with bright coral, sandstone, and tons of sea creatures. Sirens from all tribes and cultures lived peacefully in harmony in this great city. The royal family lived in the very center of the city, in the majestic palace made of pure pearl. According to mythology, the palace was handcrafted by Faunwa as a gift for Nereia.

"Mama," a young Gladys asked, her dark navy blue scales shimmering in the light produced from the water lanterns. "Tell me more about the surface world! Please?" She looked up at her mother with wide eyes filled with awe and wonder.

Queen Amaritie smiled fondly at her daughter. "Of course, my little seashell. Listen close," the Queen smiled and tapped her daughter's nose. The Queen's light blue scales shimmered with a silver effect as she adjusted herself on the edge of the giant clam shell the sirens made into beds. "The surface world is full of green. Green trees, grass, and flowers. Many different animals live in different environments. They have sand, stone, and dirt. Humans built houses for themselves and lived off the lands. But, they were called to the sea, so they cut down trees to build their ships."

"Wow! What kind of animals?" Gladys asked, clinging to each word her mother spoke.

"Many. Some are small and furry with four legs, others are tall and sturdy. Some have wings and can fly," Amaritie chuckled. "In the Ancient times, the children of Nereia, our people, wanted to visit the land, but we couldn't. We were beings of the sea. But, Faunwa felt bad for us. So, she and Nox got together to allow us to go on land. We were given the ability to transform our tails into legs."

"But...wasn't Nereia angry at this?" Gladys tilted her head with a worried expression.

"Yes, dear one. That is true. Nereia was furious at her children for wanting more. But before she could curse them, Faunwa made a deal. Sirens could only stay on land for a short amount of time before the oxygen would be too much for us." Amaritie's eyes filled with sadness. "We would suffocate on the land, but later on, a great inventor, Dedacles, created masks filled with water of the sea so we could breathe and stay on land longer."

"So, the first humans were originally sirens?" Young eyes widened with awe and realization.

"Indeed they were," the mother replied, a sad distant look in her eyes. "The first Sirens to explore the land fell in love and stayed there. Sadly, they died, but Kera granted them life at a cost." Gladys shivered, goosebumps covering her arms. "They lost their ability to breathe underwater, and in spirit, their connection to the water."

"That's horrible!" Gladys exclaimed, tail nervously swaying. "Why would Kera be so cruel?"

Queen Amaritie smiled softly. "The gods may be powerful, but they can be cruel. In the end, they do what is best for us and for the balance of the world." She gently patted her daughter's head, placing a soft kiss on her forehead. "It is not wise to question the gods, my dear seashell."

Gladys pouted, narrowing her eyes. "I wanna see the surface world, Mama. It must be beautiful..." The young siren trailed off, changing the subject and looking out her window. The glowstone lanterns lit up the city. "When...when the war is over, will we be able to live in peace and see the world for what it is?"

"And what is it?" Amaritie asked softly.

"A beautiful paradise instead of battlefields covered in spilled blood," Gladys whispered, determined gaze fixed up toward the surface. "The world was never made to be broken and divided." The young siren glanced over at her mother.

"And yet we are," Amaritie mourned, eyes glassy with tears.

"It won't always be like this," Gladys vowed with a determined grin. "I will get to the surface. I will stop this war. I promise." The young princess missed the flash of fear in her mother's eyes. Nor did she realize what her promise would entail.

Agonized screams echoed out followed by cruel laughter as crimson blood mixed with the ocean blue. Cold metal sliced through her flesh and ropes dug into her skin, creating angry red burns. Tears slid down her cheeks, mixing with her bloody wounds, salt adding to the pain. The harder she struggled and cried the louder the mocking laughter got. The glint of a blade slowly came down to her eye and she screamed.

"Gladys!" Gladys's head jerked to the side, dark blue eyes wide as they locked with the gold eyes of Hayden, her close friend. "What are you doing?" Hayden swam closer to the pearl gates. "You're not...going out there again, are you?"

"I have to!" Gladys snapped angrily. "I have to," she repeated firmly. "You don't understand." She tightened the kelp strap of her pack draped around her shoulder and back. She grit her teeth and her fingers subconsciously traced the scars on her abdomen.

Hayden's eyes softened, her gold tail swishing nervously. "Your mysterious voice calling again?" she guessed. Her answer was confirmed by Gladys's pausing before double checking her supplies. The older siren huffed. "I can't stop you, but please, try to be careful. I fear for your mother if you come back like before." Her golden eyes stared at the scars on Gladys' face and chest. "Swear it."

Gladys grit her teeth. She needed to be gone by now. The next guard shift would return any minute. "I swear I will be careful. Now, I have to go!" Hayden flinched back. "Sorry," Gladys sighed. "I will be careful. I'm not that child I once was. I can take care of myself." She embraced Hayden in a hug.

"I know you can," Hayden whispered. "Just remember, if you see a ship, dive deep and hide until it's gone. A good pirate is a dead pirate." The golden tailed female smirked and her eyes gleamed. She played with her beaded bracelet, each bead representing a pirate she had killed.

The Princess rolled her eyes. "Don't I know that," she laughed, checking to see if she had her shark-bone dagger. "Good bye. I'll be back...hopefully." She winced with a shrug and dove through the gates and into the deep blue darkness.

Hayden watched with a scared expression. "Stay safe, Princess." She bowed respectfully, trying to ignore the fear gripping her. "And you will come back. You have to." Hayden wanted to say more, but the muffled voices of the guards grew louder. "Good luck," she whispered and swam into the shadows.

Gladys released the breath she had been holding when she was out of sight. From the map she had stolen, she saw her route. First, she had to swim to the edge of the mountainous barrier that surrounded the capital city and surrounding areas. It would take all of her strength to swim up and over them. She'd need to steer clear of the villages less she gets recognized. Narrowing her eyes, the young adult folded the map and resolved herself.

"I can do this," Gladys determined. "I can do this. You have to do this. Failure is no longer an option." The further away she swam from her home, the more pressure she felt. Her people depended on her. The mystical voice called out to Gladys, beckoning her. For years, Gladys had heard the same song–a cry for help. Everyone knew the prophecy. At first, Gladys wanted the fate she was prophesied with, but now, it was a burden to her. She would never live a peaceful life. Instead, she would spend her life trying to end a 300 year war. 

-----

Hey guys! 

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I apologize for the long wait. I got writer's block and I wanna make sure the quality is good enough for you guys. I wanna ask, so far, who is your favorite deity I have created just from the vibes and what you know now? 

Have a wonderful day!

~Kat