09.) Chapter Nine

Deianira Ash wasn't one to judge people. She just wanted to live life and have fun while doing it. She could be kind, and she could be the rudest woman you've ever met. Be her friend, and you'll have a blast. Be her enemy, and your life will be a living hell. Deia was a spitfire. Blazing hot temper when irritated and annoyed, but also the chillest woman when happy or just having a good time.

Deianira wore an outfit of black pants, a white blouse, and a brown open-chested tail coat along with a brown belt to hold her leather pouches, weapons, and potion bottles. Her boots were brown as well. Her hair was dark brown that faded to red at the tips. Her hair was parted slightly more to the right so more hair swooped on her left side. She was pale with a lot of freckles. Her green eyes were sharp and alert, always keeping an eye on things. Call it her mother's instincts.

Sailing had never been an interest of Deianira. Instead, she'd run into the woods and play with the animals, climb trees, and study plant life. Her parents encouraged her to follow her calling, though Deianira knew they had wished for her to have an interest in the sea. Deianira's aunt would tell her stories about the ancient myths and legends. "Your name means misery, ill-fated,'' her aunt would whisper to her. "But it also means man-destroyer."

"Your root name Deia means joy." Her aunt would remedy, hating to see Deianira cry. "You're the joy of your family and you bring joy to others." Deianira remembered her aunt patted her head. "Don't let anyone take your joy away from you."

When her aunt disappeared, Deianira felt a piece of her was ripped away. Her parents broke the news to her as sweetly as they could, yet that didn't stop her from running into the woods. She ran to her special clearing and fell to her knees. Clouds rolled over, blocking out the sun. Fat tears streamed down her face, ugly wails wracked her body. She cried until she had no more tears left to cry. She sat in the dark clearing well into the night. Fireflies lit up the clearing and Deianira looked in awe as the forest came to life with all the nocturnal animals.

It was at that moment Deianira knew she was never alone. As long as she loved nature, she'd always have a friend. Her aunt would tell her that the sea and the earth were the two sides of the same coin. Both were beloved friends and fierce enemies. Treat them with respect and in turn, you would be respected. Because of her aunt, Deianira dove into the myths and legends, studying the earth and nature. Soon enough, Deianira learned about magic and became the Champion of Faunwa.

Family was a big deal for Deianira. Her parents grew old and perished to a disease that slowly turned the victim insane before their hearts would stop. Deianira worked tirelessly to create a cure. She did, but it was too late. Thankfully, her cure saved many, many lives in her home country. Deianira met her husband while she was traveling. Brian Themistis was her soulmate, her partner, her everything. The two of them had twin sons, Deimo and Phobus. Deianira loved her children, no matter how much of a menace they were.

Yet, even though she was happy, something was wrong. She had a family, she had a home, and she had her joy. But, there was always something following her that wanted her to suffer. It would manifest as angry mobs, wild animals trying to attack her, and dark shadows looming around.

At first, Deianira ignored it. But when it got more hostile, she attacked and continued to fend off the shadows. But, when her children were attacked, Deianira knew she had to leave. It broke her heart to leave her family that night. She left a heartfelt message for Brian and their children. She emphasized her love for them and determined to them that she would return once it was safe for them.

"Everything will be okay," Deianira glanced at Ophelia Prana who smiled warmly at the Champion of Faunwa. Ophelia may not have been super close to Deianira, but she was friendly enough. Ophelia handed Deianira a small pouch. "Glow dust. To help with your mission." Glow Dust came from the Solaris Flowers that produced light from the pollen.

"Thank you," Deianira took the pouch. She turned to get on the trade ship. Each step away from her home tore at her soul. Suddenly, she turned and ran back to Ophelia. "Please, keep an eye on my family," she pleaded, eyes blurred with tears. "Please, keep them safe."

Ophelia smiled kindly, in a motherly way. "I will do what I can," Ophelia replied, gently pushing Deianira back. "Go, Deianira Ash. The world awaits you." She waved goodbye, light brown hair flowing in the wind. Her soft blue eyes shone brightly in the sun. Deianira hugged Ophelia and boarded the trade ship. Ophelia watched the ship sail toward the rising sun and disappeared into the port town.

Days of traveling at sea had a toll on Deianira. She had never sailed before, and she quickly decided she liked staying on land more. Sea Sickness plagued her and she had to use her herbs to make a cure for herself. The trade ship stopped at the port in Calinora, a solid two weeks of sailing from Deianira's hometown of Thelympia.

In Calinora, Deianira went to the first hotel she saw. She only needed a couple nights to get her bearings before she'd skip town and wander toward her next destination wherever that may be. The hotel had flowers of all kinds and Deianira's room overlooked the nearby hills and forests.

She collapsed on the bed and let herself melt into the soft mattress. Deianira closed her eyes and sighed in relief, smiling softly. Her smile faltered when her mind drifted to thinking of Brian and the kids. "Ugh, get up, you lazy biatch and get out," she gave herself a pep talk and got out of bed.

Walking through the bustling cobblestone streets helped Deianira calm down. For now, she didn't feel the shadows looming. Even though she knew she should conserve her money, the moment she walked by one of the book stores, she wanted to walk in and buy some books. "Don't do it, Dei. Don't do...it." Deianira found herself at the checkout of the book store with a couple herbalist books, romance books, and one geography book.

Deianira carried the books in her bag and strolled down the shore. The lapping waves soothed her worry. "The sea and the earth are two sides of the same coin." Deianira smiled as her aunt's words echoed in her mind.

"No!" Deianira heard a woman yell.

"No?" An older woman's voice echoed in shock. "No? Oh, I see. Nina knows everything. She thinks she can survive in the world." Deia didn't like how condescending the old woman sounded. "Newsflash, she can't. One of these days she will slip up and come crying back. I won't say I told you so." Deianira looked up the hill and saw an older woman harassing a younger woman with ginger hair and a woman with her black hair tied up.

The ginger choked back a sob. "I'm not going back. Just leave."

The older woman, enraged, raised a hand to slap the ginger and drag her home kicking and screaming when Deianira ran up and grabbed Hana's hand, squeezing the wrist making the woman hiss and buckle over in pain. "I wouldn't do that if I were you," she growled dangerously.