04.) Chapter Four

"This isn't a plan. This is a suicide attempt," Jaxon deadpanned, staring at Michael with a fearful expression. "No, this isn't a suicide attempt. It's us signing our death certificates! We might as well start picking out our coffins!" he exasperated, throwing his arms into the air.

"Aye, lad," Maria hummed thoughtfully. "If ye are caught, ye both will hang by dawn." She took off her apron, eyes gleaming. "So, let's make sure you don't get caught!" She clapped her hands and sat down at the table in the far back room of her store. Michael and Jaxon sat across from her.

"That's the spirit," Michael praised, looking over the map of the port. "Since I've been grounded, I started helping the lookouts. Lucky for us, I know their blind spots." He smirked and drew on the map with his charcoal pencil. "Here, here, and here. They are small, so we would need one person in each place. Simple. Don't get seen." He glanced at Jaxon.

Jaxon innocently smiled. "Hey! I will never get caught!" Michael raised an eyebrow. "Okay, I've never been caught trying to steal a ship." Michael sighed, shoulders sagging as he tried not to smile at his friend's antics.

"Jaxon, hurry up!" Michael hissed as his friend wobbled on the chair. Jaxon's small arms just barely missed the cookies. He yelped and fell off the chair, crashing to the ground with a thud. Michael hissed in sympathy. "Are you okay?"

"What in the seven seas is goin' on out there?" Maria scolded, coming out to see what all the ruckus was about. "Ah, a wee lad tryna steal my cookies," Maria observed, eyes twinkling with amusement.

"Sorry, Miss Maria," Jaxon mumbled. "I was hungry." He avoided her gaze, shamefully staring at the floor. He shuffled his feet, fidgeting with his fingers.

"Well then, ye should have said somethin'," Maria scolded gently, messing up his hair. She smiled warmly. "I coulda had a right proper meal for ye ready by now." Her facial features could have warmed anyone's heart. Her bright smile, mischievous eyes, do-good attitude. No one could stay sad or upset around her for long.

"Can you please make us something?" Jaxon asked, looking back at Michael. Sweet, innocent Jaxon, always thinking about others as well as himself. "I'm really sorry for trying to steal from you."

"Like I said, lad. All ye had to do was ask."

"Did you get that?" Jaxon blinked and looked over at Michael, sheepishly rubbing the back of his neck, smiling nervously. No, he hadn't. "Care to repeat that, best friend of mine?"

Maria chuckled while Michael pinched the bridge of his nose. "I said, you will take the east tower while I get the west. But before that, we have to set a trap at the north tower." He drew a few lines on the old map. "We will set traps at each tower to cause a distraction then we walk into port and steal one of the smaller ships. We don't need a huge one. Just one big enough for a small crew."

"Sounds easy enough," Jaxon smirked. "What kind of traps are we talking? Big destructive ones or just small distraction ones? Or both?" He rubbed his palms together, cackling as he thought of all the wondrous things he could create. "OH! Or are ya asking for my prank classics?"

Michael smirked, tipping his hat. "What can I say? Why not all three?" His smile held ambition and danger. "Pirates aren't known for their cowardice." Jaxon laughed loudly and Maria chuckled. "Tis a good plan, lads. Best of luck to ya." She patted both boys on the shoulder and heartily laughed.

Jaxon beamed happily and wrote down on a piece of paper everything he would need. "Can you help us get this?" He handed Maria the makeshift list. Her smile seemed to grow as she read the list. "Aye. Give me a day or two."

Michael and Jaxon laid low the next few days while they illegally gathered supplies. Jaxon was beyond ecstatic to work with the supplies, making dangerous bombs to harmless smoke bombs. His mind wandered as he skillfully built in the backrooms of Maria's bakery. Jaxon and his family had journeyed from South Palificas to Icilia to start anew. But, it wasn't easy. He was thankful for Michael and Maria being there for him and his family.

Jaxon anxiously walked through the town, bundled as warm as he could be. His family didn't have much. The coat he wore was too thin to protect him from the cool breeze. He shivered but maintained his smile as he walked.

"Are you cold?" Jaxon looked over to his left to see a taller boy looking at him. "I have an extra jacket if you want it." He smiled softly, avoiding eye contact. "You looked cold."

"Thank you!" Jaxon beamed, taking the warmer jacket. "I'm Jaxon Hayes. You are?"

"Michael," Michael introduced himself. "I was heading to Madame Maria's. She's really nice and everyone loves her. Come on!" Michael grabbed Jaxon's hand and brought him to Maria. "Everyone loves her. She's like a mother to me."

"Welcome back, lad!" Maria greeted, wiping the sweat from her brow with her apron. "Did ye get me the flour, eggs, and grain I requested?" She came out from the kitchen and placed a fresh tray of muffins in the glass case.

"Ah, sorry, I didn't," Michael hummed, rubbing the back of his neck. "I got distracted." He gestured to his new friend. "Madame Maria, meet Jaxon Hayes. He's my friend." Jaxon waved at her, smiling shyly. "He was cold so I gave him my jacket."

"I can see that, lad." Maria chuckled, walking until she was in front of the two boys. Jaxon lost how much time he had spent with Maria and Michael. The older woman was more than gracious enough to give him some warmer clothes. When Jaxon went home, he smiled. He had made a new friend and gained another family.

-----

Hey guys!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! I love writing Michael and Jaxon so much! And Maria! We stan her. Comments and votes are appreciated! I love hearing from you all!

Have a wonderful day!

~Kat