Special Chapter: Happy Birthday!

"Ahh, what a nice day!" Kat hummed, swinging her legs as she sat on the railing of the ship. A soft breeze blew across the sea and she was watching clouds roll by. The sun was beginning to rise in the distance and Kat swore she could hear some of the others get up. Kat was either an early bird or a night owl staying up late in the night. Her head turned to the side when she heard soft footsteps. She saw Thalassa and Deianira on the main deck, both just waking up. "You're up!" Kat grinned brightly.

"Not by choice," Deianira groaned, running a hand through her shoulder-length hair. She shook her head and bit back a yawn. "I rolled off my bunk and woke up from the fall." Kat tried to hide her snicker in a cough but failed. Deia gave Kat a side-eye, green eyes shining in the early morning sunlight. Deia wore her usual outfit of black pants, a white blouse, and a brown open-chested tail coat along with a brown belt to hold her leather pouches, weapons, and potion bottles. Her boots were brown as well. Her hair was dark brown that faded to red at the tips.

"I'm just naturally an early bird," Thalassa kindly smiled. "Back home, I'd have to wake up early to start my practices early. I used to hate it, but over time, I started to like it." The trio of girls looked out at the open ocean.

"Yo," Jaxon popped up next to Kat on the railing, almost making the older female fall into the water. "Jaxon!" Kat screeched, gripping the railing so she didn't fall in. "Don't scare me like that!"

"Oops," Jaxon sheepishly smiled, rubbing the back of his neck. "Sorry, didn't mean to scare ya." He whistled a tune and leaned back against the railing, smirking mischievously. "You didn't hear this from me, but there is a certain captain's birthday coming up in a couple days." This got the attention of the three females.

"Wait, wait, wait," Kat spoke up. "You mean to tell us that it's Michael's birthday in a few days? As if that is enough time to plan a surprise party?" She quirked an eyebrow, folding her arms over her chest.

"It's not enough time?" Jaxon tilted his head. "You can figure something out. We have two champions on board, two hybrids, and a siren with us. What do you mean it's not enough time?" He cocked his head to the side, looking at them in disbelief.

"No, we can do it," Thalassa spoke up. "It's just on short notice. But don't worry. We can make something happen, right?" she looked back at Kat and Deia who both were already lost in thought, planning.

"Okay, we can work something out," Kat grinned. "Let me grab Nina and we can start planning." She grabbed Deia's hand and brought her to the girl's bunk room where Nina and Katherine were sleeping. Thalassa followed right behind the other two girls.

Jaxon whistled happily as he watched the girls disappear. "You are playing with fire, Jaxon," he heard Gladys's voice echo from the ocean. Jaxon laughed. "Yeah, so what? He deserves this. The last time he celebrated was with..." Jaxon hesitated, the name heavy on his tongue. "Was with Maria. He deserves a celebration with his new family."

"I'm sure he'll appreciate the gesture," Gladys hummed in thought. "If you keep him distracted, I can help the others with decorations and probably some gifts." She plunged beneath the surface and swam under the ship, down to the ocean floor. Gathering seashells, sea flowers, and other kelp was easy enough. Plus, she'd be able to barter with some other Sirens to get some gifts.

Nina, Kat, Katherine, Deia, and Thalassa gathered together in the shared girl's bunkroom. They had circled around the small bedside tables that they had pushed together. Deia had taken it upon herself to be the party manager. Thalassa and Katherine agreed to help with the food. Nina and Kat would help with decorations with Deia. Jaxon was in charge of keeping Michael distracted...hopefully.

"What is going on?" Michael stared at Jaxon suspiciously. Something was off about the younger man. He was too excited but trying to hide it. Michael could tell because Jaxon was more jittery than usual and was talking a little bit faster than he usually talked. "Why are you acting strange?"

"What? No, I'm good," Jaxon's eyes widened slightly but he tried to play off his jitters for being normal. "Everything is fine, but I do need you to help me with something." Before Michael could protest, Jaxon dragged him back into the Captain's quarters. "I can't find my bandana. I think I left it here somewhere."

"You mean the bandana you lost back in Kerine?" Michael deadpanned, raising an eyebrow.

"I, uh, got a new one," Jaxon grinned brightly, much to Michael's chagrin. "Come on. Just help me for a few minutes."

"Fine," Michael sighed, helping Jaxon look for his nonexistent bandana. The Captain's annoyance faded after a little bit. Jaxon kept making small comments here and there and just seemed happier. Michael smiled softly at that. Everyone on his crew deserved to be happy after everything.

Michael tried to leave the cabin only for Jaxon to drag him back in. "Just wait a minute, Michael! I wanna tell you something." Michael sighed and looked at Jaxon with a small smile. "Did you hear about the memorial?" Jaxon asked, voice not as chipper as it was before.

"Memorial?" Michael tilted his head in thought. "What are you talking about?"

"Back home in Icilia, the townsfolk made a memorial for Maria," Jaxon explained, a flash of guilt in his eyes. He shuffled his feet and avoiding looking at Michael, opting to look at the far wall with the world map on it.

Michael sympathetically sighed, putting a hand on Jaxon's shoulder. "That's nice of the townspeople," he smiled wistfully. "It wasn't your fault, and she's been gone for a long time now. She'd want both of us to move on and remember her for the good things, not her death."

"You're right," Jaxon managed a smile. He heard a thump from above them and broke out laughing.

"What was that?" Michael asked, concern laced in his voice. Did the ship hit something? Were they being boarded by other pirates? "Why are you laughing? This could be serious!" Michael grabbed his pistol and sword and burst out of the room only to be met with the entire crew shouting, "SURPRISE!"

Michael's jaw dropped as he took in the ship. Different kinds of earth and sea flora covering the mast, the railings, and everything in between. Little glowing sea stones were on every other post. Each member of the crew wore a blinding smile. Michael closed his mouth, swallowing thickly. "What's all this?" he managed to ask, slowly recovering from his shock.

"It's for your birthday!" Kat grinned widely. "A little birdy told us your birthday was comin' up so everyone decided to chip in and help give you a party."

Thalassa stepped forward. "I know we've never celebrated together as crew so we didn't know what exactly to get you." She sheepishly rubbed the back of her neck. "But, if you ever want me to do something for you, I'll gladly do it."

"I...thank you," Michael blinked. "I appreciate this." He smiled, remembering the last party he had with Jaxon and Maria.

"Let's get this party started!" Jaxon cheered along with the crew. Michael laughed and joined the crew on the main deck, staring in awe of everything. "Enjoy yourself, Captain!" The day and night was filled with Nina's singing, and the crew dancing around and playing games. Michael found himself having the time of his life surrounded by his friends and family. Kat and Gladys had talked with him, sometimes teasing him and annoying him. Nina, Katherine, and Thalassa had given Michael some of his favorite foods and things. Deia had set up everything and hesitantly gave Michael another map, unsure of what to actually give him. Jaxon run up behind Michael and gave him a big hug, laughing loudly.

"Happy Birthday, Michael!" 

-----

Happy Birthday, mightymaster99!  I didn't know what to do for your birthday, and after talking with some people, I decided to write this special chapter for you! I hope you have an amazing birthday!

Have a wonderful day!

~Kat