05.) Chapter Five

Jaxon took deep breaths as he crept through the shadows. The north tower was tall. Very, very tall. One perfectly placed explosion would make it topple over. He carefully placed the makeshift bombs at the support beams. His senses were heightened, wincing as his sword clattered against the cobblestone wall, breathing a sigh of relief when no one came looking. He jumped to the ground, boots making a small thud!. He pressed his back against the cold cobblestone and counted to five before bolting to the west tower.

Half way, Jaxon started to leisurely walk, not wanting to draw attention to himself. He whistled a happy tune and smiled at a few merchants. The west and east towers weren't as big as the north one, but in fact, more dangerous. Since they were closer to the harbor, they were armed tooth and nail with all kinds of long-range and short-range weapons. Which is why the actual bombs would be set off on the north tower. The east and west towers had too much high risk to cause more damage than good.

Jaxon timed his walk to the west tower, looking at his synchronized watch. Michael should have arrived at the east tower. He opened his leather bag and entered the tower. Staying close to the walls, Jaxon placed water-like balloons filled with oil and a sticky substance similar to tar. He placed them in the middle of the stairs half-way up and crawled back down, freezing as a guard sneezed. The stairs creaked as he climbed down, the boy wincing each time a louder creak echoed out. His heart jumped in his chest as a guard's head peeked down the stairwell. Jaxon ran under the stairs and waited until he heard silence. 'Time to meet Michael at the harbor. Gotta hurry up. The bombs should go off in–oh no!'

A loud boom echoed out followed by horrified screams. "No! They went off too soon!" Jaxon whispered, eyes wide as he ran toward the harbor. "They weren't supposed to go off this early. I set them right. I know I did!" A hand drifted down to his sword. This would be a dogfight the rest of the way.

"What the hell happened?" Michael shouted angrily, footsteps echoing off the wooden docks. "Why did they go off so soon?" He gripped his own sword, ready to fight when the time came. The small cargo ship was so close. Just a little further.

"Well what do we have here?" Both men froze at the familiar voice. "Are you two trying to escape when the town was just attacked?" Loud footsteps came up behind them. "Or, did you two orchestrate all of this?" A man whistled, and Michael could feel goosebumps forming. Jaxon's grip on his sword tightened. "Now why would you two do such a thing? Not planning on runnin' away are we?"

Michael slowly turned to glare at the slightly older pirate Captain. He had a bright red coat with black trim and gold accents. His hat had a white feather and his cufflinks were adorned with different colored scales. Sirens scales. Michael suppressed another shiver. "Sebastian," he growled. "What are you doing here? I didn't hear you came back." 'Shit. This isn't good.'

"Just now got back," Sebastian drawled. "And perfect timing, too. After all, it's my job to stop criminals. And last time I checked, blowing up a lookout tower was a criminal offense." He smiled with all teeth and drew his sword. "Too bad I don't feel like bringing in live bait today." The men around him drew their swords as well, chuckling at the two.

Jaxon felt sweat trickle down his face. He unsheathed his sword and narrowed his eyes. He was one of the best fighters, training for years on end. He raised his sword and smirked. "Try it. It won't end well for you, trust me," he smirked, egging Sebastian on.

"Don't," Michael warned, defensively holding his sword. They didn't need an unwinnable fight to break out. He carefully stepped backward, inching toward the cargo ship. "We need to run, not fight," he hissed.

"Are you gonna listen to him?" Sebastian laughed, stepping forward. "Or are you gonna fight like a true pirate?" His smirk grew wider with each step closer. The six men started to circle around Michael and Jaxon, like sharks circling their next meal. Jaxon spat at Sebastian's feet, smugly looking at him. "You brat!" Sebastian roared, lunging with his sword. Jaxon blocked and pushed back.

Michael grunted as two men attacked him. "No! Jaxon, we need to get out of here!" The ship was so close he could just about touch it. Swords clanging sounded like thunder to Michael. Jaxon laughed and fought earnestly, getting the upper hand only to have three others gang up on him. "We can take 'em!" he boasted. "The dynamic duo, unstoppable."

"Right..." Michael yelped, barely dodging a slash to the arm. He blocked another blow and jumped back. Just a little closer. Another dodge. Almost there. A cut to his cheek. He hissed in pain. There! He grabbed one of the ropes and pulled himself up, kicking a man in the jaw with the heel of his boot. Running, he slashed each rope holding the ship to the dock. The sails were up and ready to catch the wind.

But, that left Jaxon with seven people to fight. The young adult couldn't keep up. He grunted as a sword's hilt hit his jaw, sending him to the ground. Another sword slashed his arm, eliciting a scream from Jaxon. Tears of pain, shame, and anger blurred his vision, Sebastian's cruel laughter ringing out.

Sebastian raised his hand and his men stopped attacking. He loomed over Jaxon with a happy smile. "Kill him," he gleefully ordered. Red was Sebastian's color. Any blood he'd get on him would perfectly blend in with his coat.

Jaxon's eyes widened before being squeezed shut, heart pounding in his chest and blood roaring in his ears. He vaguely heard Michael screaming his name or registered the sound of a loud bang and warm blood being splattered all over his face. He peeled an eye open to see Maria twirling her double pistols, smirking.

"Alright, mates," she growled. "Let 'im go." The five men clambered back and Jaxon frantically crawled back. "One step out of line and you'll end up like poor old Kline." Blood pooled under Kline's lifeless body, a bullet hole through his head. The five others glared daggers at her, but did nothing. She had the guns.

"Go on, lads," Maria grinned, eyes full of acceptance. "Run free."

"No! I won't leave you," Michael shouted, running down to help Jaxon and his pseudo-mother. "If you stay, he will kill you!" Jaxon held him back to the best of his ability.

"Aye, that be true," Maria smiled. "But I'm old. Ye both still have a long life ahead of ye. Now go!" She aimed and shot at Michael, barely missing him by an inch. His eyes widened with horror. Jaxon dragged him back to the ship.

The sounds of angry guards grew louder as tens of tens of guards ran on the docks. Maria smirked, and agile for a woman her age, rained down bullet after bullet. Bodies fell left and right, the old woman laughing as she remembered her younger pillaging years.

"NO! MARIA!" Jaxon and Michael screamed as Sebastian stabbed her from behind, sword sticking through her chest. Blood spilled from her chest and mouth. In one last act of defiance, she threw the butt of her pistol behind and into Sebastian's left eyes, falling forward onto the docks. She smiled. "Go on, sons. Live life...free." Her eyes glazed over, the fight leaving her.

Michael sobbed loudly, hands gripping the wheel, knuckles turning white. Jaxon cried equally as hard. This was his fault. His bombs went off too early, he initiated the fight, and he caused Maria's death. He should have run when Michael told him to. Jaxon's once lively eyes now turned dull. Maria was gone...Maria was dead...Michael's mother was dead.

"Captain, what do we do with her body?" one of the guards asked, another helping up Sebastain. Anger blazed in his eye, another hand covering his bleeding left eye. "Throw her in the sea and let the sharks tear her apart!" he roared. 

-----

Hey guys!

Villain reveal, woohoo! I am so happy to finally reveal Sebastian. Despite what he just did and what I am gonna make him do, and what he has done. I love him as a villain. I can't wait to reveal more about him to y'all. And that is it, right? Nothing else we need to talk about? OH RIGHT! Maria! Sorry about that, but it had to be done. The first death. :D I truly am sorry. I had way to much fun writing this chapter. 

Anyways, comments and votes are very much appreciated! I love hearing from you guys! Interactive question: how are you feeling so far?

Have a wonderful day!

~Kat