Chapter 16

ZIAH'S POV

"One more thing, princess. You can use me as you want. Everything that I have belongs to you, just like I am yours."

The snarky smirk on Vikram's face while saying those words just added to my shock. I was at a loss of words. What did he mean by that? How was he mine? His words and his actions are so confusing at times.

But a small flock of butterflies gathered in my stomach. He was mine, this idea made me happy. But that's so silly. I keep having these silly thoughts whenever he is with me. So its his fault right? Or am I getting crazy.

I was thinking of a reply that wouldn't embarrass me in front of him but we were interrupted by Kajal didi's voice.

"Ziah?"

I yelped at the surprising interruption and looked at them. Vidhi and Kajal, both were standing outside the room looking at us with different expression.
Vidhi was smirking at me playfully which I don't know why. But my cousin sister was not looking that happy. In fact she was looking the opposite of it.

Her eyes were glaring at me...oh no.

They were staring at me and the person standing really close to me. My neck snapped towards Vikram who was unbothered, or a little annoyed by the intrusion. His face had the stoic expression that he has everytime there is someone in front of him. But he doesn't have this expression when he is speaking to me. I have seen him smile, that is something he doesn't do in front of others.

I focused back on the situation. We both were in a awkward position with me pressed against the wall. I am dumb in such situations usually but now I am slowly understanding things. And right now I know that our closeness is not appropriate in front of the two girls. Especially in front of Kajal.

I cleared my throat and got away from him.

"We were searching for you Ziah. We thought you were getting bored in the pooja so we could company you. But looks like you are a little busy." Vidhi said with a teasing smirk on my face and this time it was hard for me to contain my blush and my face heated up.

"N-No I was just..." I trailed off after realizing that I had no viable answer.
It was better to keep quiet so I looked away biting my lip.

"Ziah, it's time for aarti. I think we should go down now." There was something in Kajal's voice that was commanding me to obey her. Her eyes were warning me to defy her. Was she looking angry? But why?
If its time for aarti I should probably be going with them. I glanced at Vikram who was already looking at me.

"Let's go with them." I said.

For a milisecond there was uncertainty in his eyes but it soon changed and he gave me a nod. See, he is serious again. Just some time ago he was so different.

I looked at the girls with a smile as a go ahead. But Vidhi's face caught my attention. She was looking like she just saw a ghost.

I ignored her expression as Kajal pulled me to walk with her.

We reached the room where everyone was gathered. I walked behind kajal and Vidhi and Vikram followed me. The Aditya family had the same expression on their face that were on Vidhi's face a while ago. What's wrong with this family?

I stood with Vidhi and Vyom behind my in laws who were doing all the rituals. They offered the aarti to their children one by one. And they forwarded it to me.

I held it in my right hand when another hand held it. I tilted my head to see that Vikram was holding it too.

"Husband and wife should do it together." The priest said to us and everyone looked at us to continue.

But I was just looking up at my husband who had started doing the rituals. His eyes were in front of us but I couldn't take my eyes off him. This was the first time after our wedding that we were performing these rituals together.

I had visited his family during other events but all those times I was just alone and left out. But this time was different. We were together.

I realised that it was over when he looked down at me and gave me the smallest smile he could muster. I know why he did that, so only I know he smiled.

In that moment, I felt a spark in my heart. The sensation was new and I had no idea what it was. My insides were warm, my heart was full and soon I was mimicking his smile. In the room full of people we were alone, the two of us in our own world.

The plate was taken from our hands bringing me back to the surroundings. I looked down at my feet while still feeling his eyes on me.

People started swarming in front of us to get the aarti and I was forced to move back at the end of the little crowd. 

My gaze was on my mother taking blessings from the priest when I felt a hand wrapping around my waist. I shivered under the warm touch, already aware of who it was.
Vikram's gaze was fixated in front and his face had no emotions. Does he even know what he is doing?

"W-what are you doing?" I asked in a low whisper, afraid anyone would hear us.

He looked at me nonchalantly and replied,"What did I do?"

I tapped his hand on my waist and  said, "Your hand."

"Is there a problem with my hand?" He asked with a smirk that screamed mischief.

My jaw dropped seeing his audacity. He knew I didn't want anyone to notice us and he was taking advantage of that. I shook my head in disbelief and tried to push his hand away gently and in a way nobody would notice. But my strength was nothing compared to his grip. I was a mouse in front of him and he had the upper hand here.

His face showed his enjoyment in tormenting me as I struggled.

"Somebody will see us." I warned him with a scared expression on my face. But he only shrugged.

"I am not scared of anyone. Besides, everyone here just saw that you are my wife."

My wife.

The word stuck me like a thunder.  Especially the way he said it. But now was not the time to think of this. I sighed and looked ahead of me with defeat. There was no winning for me.

And he had no problem standing like that for rest of the time.

______________________

"What were you doing, Ziah?" Kajal asked me as soon as we got home. I looked at her with confusion, and my mother and aunt gave her the same look.

"What happened, di?" I asked with a frown. She was acting strange since the morning and I wonder what has been going on with her.

She gave me a look of disbelief and kept her hands on her waist.
"You were getting all cozy with Vikram."

My eyes became saucers after hearing her. That sounds embarrassing to hear in front of your mother and aunt.

"Cozy?" My aunt said while giving me a narrowed look.

"I-I don't know what you are talking about." I said looking away from them. But I wasn't lying. I behaved normally with him, so what does she mean?

"You were behaving like you two are truly husband and wife." She said with a dry chuckle at the end.

Huh? What a weird statement. We are married so that makes us husband and wife.
"But we are husband and wife." I said shrugging my soldiers.

"Ziah?!!" The three ladies said my name in unison making me flinch. They looked shocked and horrified. But why? I didn't say anything wrong.

It was mom who came towards me and clutched my arm. She gave me a stern look and said something that gave me the biggest shock of my life.

"There is no way you will stay married to him. We will get you separated soon."

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇