Chapter 32

Important chapter! Enjoy reading.

The sun lazily stretched its rays through the half-closed blinds, casting a warm, subdued glow on the worn-out carpet. A solitary coffee mug sat on the breakfast table, steam rising lazily as the silence of the morning lingered. The ticking of a wall clock echoed in the stillness, marking time's slow progression. A newspaper lay unfolded, its pages patiently waiting to be turned in the unhurried dance of a mundane morning.

The Malhotra family was silently having their breakfast unaware of the pool of tension between Ziah and her father. Amar hadn't been out of his room after he talked to Ziah the previous evening. He was consumed in contemplation of her words.

Hearing Vikram's good side felt like a joke to him. For a moment he thought his children were playing a prank but seeing the seriousness on their faces he realized the depth of it. Was Vikram really a trustworthy person for his one and only daughter?

Amar had promised Ziah unwavering security and protection as her father. Could he really push her towards someone like Vikram?

Meanwhile, Ziah's heart felt like a stormy sea, waves of anxiety crashing against the shores of her emotions. The weight of his disapproval had settled on her shoulders. The love she sought to share seemed caught in a tempest of conflicting emotions, leaving her with a sense of vulnerability in the face of her father's reluctance to accept Vikram.

She wanted both, her father and her husband. They both loved her equally and nobody could compare them. She knew what Vikram did when his anger took the best of him was unacceptable and she was yet to confront him for his actions.

But above all this, was his love and compassion for her. If there was any man in this world who loved her with the same intensity as Amar, it was Vikram.

The most notorious member of the family, Ziah's dadi cleared her throat gaining everyone's attention. Her husband sitting beside her knew something was cooking up in her mischievous mind when he saw her twinkling eyes.

"I am hosting a charity ball on my birthday which is in two days. I hope you all remember that." Dadi said glancing at her two sons and their wives.

"Ofcourse we remember maa." Ziah's aunt said with a nervous smile.

"I have invited some very special people for it so make sure all the arrangements are done with utter precision." Dadi said with her authoritative voice.

Even if the ball was hosted by her, she was not going to do any work by herself. When none of the family members showed interest in doing the chores she turned to her favorite grandchild.

With a sickeningly sweet grin Dadi said to Ziah, "I know my sweet princess will help me. Afterall you have the best taste."

An unintentional cough from Amar cought everyone's attention as soon as Dadi finished her words. Ziah offered him a glass of water quickly but he refused rather politely. She then turned towards dadi and replied, "Sure dadi. I have to visit my animal shelter today but after that I'll work on this ball."

"I'll join you." Ziah's father said taking her aback. She thought he was avoiding her but here he was. A bright smile like the sun in a summer afternoon formed on her face and she gave him an exciting nod.

◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇◇

The ride to the animal shelter was filled with silence. Today Amar had decided to take the steering wheel in his own hands so the father and daughter were alone in the car. It was a comfortable silence with Ziah observing the passing road.

Seeing her, he was reminded of her childhood. She was a gift of god as he often said.

"You know, princess ," he began, a smile playing on his lips, "you're like a sunbeam in our lives, a pure blessing from above."