The fight against Sin

Now, you have repented. You have rebuked the devil and your guilt has left you. You have gained salvation, but how do you sustain it?

Here, I will highlight 5 ways to help you fight sin.

1. The Bible.

The greatest weapon against sin is the word of God. And what is this word of God? It is the Gospel. The good news. The book of hope, love and every good thing that proceeds from Heaven. 2 Timothy 3:16-17, All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work.

This is one of the numerous verses in the Bible that emphasizes the importance of the Holy Scriptures in the journey of our faith. The Bible is full of powerful verses to rebuke sin and temptation and even bad thoughts. I will list a few.

i. 1 Corinthians 10:13, No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.

ii. 2 Corinthians 10:5, Casting down imaginations and everything that exalts itself against the knowledge of God. Bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.

iii. Philippians 4:8, Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is truth, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things.

Inside the Bible, we will find that Christ is with us, encouraging us to walk in obedience and depend on His power and strength in time of temptation, but we may not know this unless we read his word.

Read Hebrews 12.

2. The Holy Spirit.

Another powerful weapon against sin is the Spirit of God, which is God himself. They are inextricable. Just as we are inextricable with our spirit. So, when you ask for the outpour of the Holy Spirit, youre basically asking for God himself. And when the Spirit of God comes upon you, He challenges your flesh; the part of you that desires to sin. The spirit of God will never allow you do anything that is contrary to the will of God. What is contrary to the will of God? Sin.

The Holy Spirit isnt just an estranged name, or the least talked about person in the Trinity. He is your friend, your advocate, your teacher, your counsellor, your helper, and in Jesus name, he is at your beck and call whenever you need him. For Christ has promised in John 14:16, I will ask the father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever.

1 Corinthians 3:16, tells us that our bodies are the temple of the Holy Spirit, and so we must call on him to take full possession and control of your bodies, our hearts and our life. Because without him, we are nothing but empty vessels.

In Romans 8:8-9, the Bible says: Those who are in the flesh cannot please God but those that are in the Spirit. You, however are not in the flesh but in the spirit, if in fact the spirit of God dwells in you

In vs. 14-15, it says: For all who are led by the spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but you have received the Spirit of adoptions as sons, by whom we cry, Abba! Father!

You need the Holy Spirit to help you perform as a better Christian, so that you will not be half-baked in the Spirit, and thereby be disqualified from Heaven. You also need him to interpret the Bible for your better understanding. You need him to fill your soul, and to quicken your mortal body. The Holy Spirit proceeded from the Father and the Son. He is a perfect Spirit, and as said earlier, he will never allow you do anything contrary to the will of God.