Do you believe?

I once heard of a woman who gave a testimony during a church service that was broadcasted. She said that, the cooking gas cylinder she had been using had not run out of gas for 8 years.

I, as well as others have always doubted this miracle. In fact, people would use it to make mockery of her.

Until one day, I was reading through the Bible and came across 1 kings 17 v 12-16.

Elijah went to a poor widow as instructed by God and asked her food. But she said she had nothing but a handful of meal in a jar and a little oil in a cruse; and after she and her son eats it, they will die, (of starvation.) But Elijah said to her: The jar of meal shall not be spent, and the cruse of oil shall not fail, until the day that the Lord sends rain upon the earth. (For this was the time there was no rain in Israel)

The Bible recorded that they (Elijah, the widow and her son) ate for many days after that day, because the jar of meal was not spent, and the cruse of oil never failed, according to the word of Lord which he spoke by Elijah. How? How did the food not get exhausted? Where did they see food to eat?

Doesnt this remind you of how Jesus fed 5000 people with five loaves of bread and two fish?

The bible went on to add that the 5000 excluded women and children, which means they were more than 5000. How? How can? Plus there were baskets of crumbs. This defiles human understanding.

These are the mysteries.

Then I thought about it. If God can miraculously multiply out of nothing, then it is possible that the womans cylinder truly never ran out of gas. It is possible. (I pray God forgive me if I am connecting 2 wrong dot.) But why is it so hard to believe that woman? Well, to me, I didnt believe her because it made absolutely no sense that her cylinder had not run out of gas for 8 years. I mean God can raise the dead, and part the sea, but he certainly cannot sustain the cooking gas in her cylinder.

How is it that we doubt this woman who we can see physically, and yet we can believe a long dead author who said a whale swallowed a man and spat him out after 3 days, alive! What is this shallow rooted faith I see?

Truly, the Bible can attest to the rock that we call hearts. When the rich man said from hell, that he wants to go back to earth and warn his brothers, so they may repent, Abraham said that if humans have not believed the prophets that they are seeing on earth, that they would not believe him even if he comes back from the dead.

Ps: Christ came back from the dead and people still did not believe him.

Maybe the woman is saying the truth or not, but whatever it maybe, God, is capable of that and much more. He made us in his image and likeness, what other proof do we need before we believe him and submit to him? We must be renewed in him, we must be transformed in our spirits, so that we wont try to understand him with carnal wisdom.

We must believe to the point that we wouldnt argue with the Bible, even if it had recorded that it was Jonah that swallowed the whale for 3 whole days.

Now, I am not saying we should take the words of every preacher, and anyone who claims to minister in Gods name. No. We have been advised to be watchful, lest we get deceived by false prophets. What I am saying is, while filtering the gospel we hear from place to place, our method of filtering should not be based on what we as humans find possible, instead it should be based on the capacity of God.

When we hear of any mighty work that has been done in Gods name, let our doubt not come from the fact that it is impossible, but that, although it is possible for God to do, he just chose not to do it.

Nevertheless, God is capable. He is capable of a lot that we humans cant even comprehend.

Yes. He is more than capable to part the sea again. He still raises the dead till this day, he heals the sick, and rescues his people from burning buildings, and collapsed ones too. He reunites families from all the world. He is capable of the impossible; that is his specialty!

But first, do you believe?