What Did I Do?

I'm standing outside when I jump at the deep voice spoken next to me, I turn my head to see Donnie looking at me. "Hi, you're leaving?!" I nod, "yep. I thought you had left." He leans in closer, "not without seeing you first." I stare at him as he gazes back at me. Suddenly, I feel the cold air on my skin and I try to warm myself up with my hands. He takes off his jacket and places it on my shoulders, "here, wear this. So are you really leaving?" I pull the jacket around me at the front. "Yeah, I am. I'm just going to flag down a taxicab." I watch Donnie as he glances both directions. "Want to go somewhere quieter, with me?" While I'm deciding, he gently rubs his hands down my arms to help circulate some heat to warm me up. "Where to?" - "we could go to my place? Maybe put some music on, relax with a drink and chat. What do you say?" I think to myself for a moment. Donnie manages to flag down a taxi and opens the back passenger door. "Okay." I tell him. He gestures for me to climb inside the car and he slides in next to me. I listen as he instructs the driver where to go. I sit quietly. Yet I tap my fingers against my knee, nervously. Donnie puts his hand on top of mine which feels huge compared to my own. "Hey, Gabby, relax babe." If only he could tell my heart to stop racing as fast as it is and the fluttering in my stomach to calm down.
I glance up at him now that we're driving out of town and it's darker. I can make out his stubble. I'm yearning to scratch my fingers against the stubble but I keep my hand on my knee with his hand on top of it. "What are you thinking, babe? You haven't took those pretty eyes off me for the last few minutes." His breathing is heavy.

I bite my lip nervously, I didn't realise he knew I was looking at him

I bite my lip nervously, I didn't realise he knew I was looking at him. "I, I..." he raises his hand, and he gently strokes my lips with the pad of his thumb. "We're here!" We both turn to face the driver as soon as he announced our arrival. I go to get some money out to pay but Donnie is already putting his card back in his wallet. "C'mon babe, follow me." Donnie holds his hand out for me as I climb out of the car. I look at the massive house in front of me and I'm in awe. It's brownstone with steps leading up to the front door.

Once he's opened the door, he gestures for me to walk inside

Once he's opened the door, he gestures for me to walk inside. I'm soon greeted by the glorious grand staircase and the high ceilings which are coffered. He takes off his jacket from my shoulder and I walk ahead towards where I think the kitchen is. "Donnie?" The light suddenly flashes on making my eyes squint and Donnie is at the island bar, looking so handsome. "What would you like to drink?" He waits for me to respond.
I take a sip of my Drambuie and Coke, it causes me to wince and Donnie is laughing. "Why do you drink it if you don't like it?" I pour some more Coke into it, "the first few mouthfuls always do that to me, ha!" I watch as he takes a sip out of his drink. "When are you going to tell me what you were thinking about back in the taxi?" Oh no, he's put me on the spot. I don't say anything. "Maybe we should carry on from where we stopped?" I says, his breath all heady as he slowly steps towards me. Like earlier, he places his thumb on my lips; gently stroking them. My eyes close as his fingers caress my cheek. "I so badly want to kiss you. Is that okay?" I open my eyes and nod slowly. Then he leans in and I feel his lips upon my own.

His arm slips round my waist as he steps in between my legs. I too wrap my arm around his body where I can feel the toned muscles underneath my hand. Just as I was settling into the kissing, he pulls away slightly. "Were you mad at me today?" He randomly asks me. I think back to today to see if I can remember anything happening. Crap, I was mad at him. I glance down at my knees which are still either side of Donnie. "It's all forgotten about, it's okay." My voice sounds meek. "Gabby. What did I do? Please tell me." He pleads with me. He lifts my chin up to look at me in the eyes. His eyes soften. "The storyline today. It was too close to home for me and it was so difficult." He looks at me, confused. "But, what does that have to do with me babe? It was just a storyline." I sigh, trying to clear my throat. "I've been where the victims are. I've also had to deal with learning how the perpetrator's family has struggled to deal with the aftermath of knowing their loved one caused the deaths of other people." I close my eyes as I recall the incident that caused my parents to lose their lives, and the pain hits me like a freight train. "Shush, it's okay honey, you let it out. Come here." Donnie pulls me close and I bury my face into his solid chest. He gently runs his hand through my hair as he tries to soothe me.
"My parents were killed in a car collision, just like the one we had to do in the scenes today. The person who caused the collision had been dealing with grief, and had gone out. According to accounts, he had 'seen' his newly deceased wife and swerved which resulted in the collision. He had been drinking but wasn't over the limit. His family have really struggled ever since. The guilt they've carried has been overwhelming."

Donnie kisses the top of my head

Donnie kisses the top of my head. "Gabby, I'm so sorry." He picks me up and carries me through to the living room where we snuggled on the couch. We spend the rest of the night, talking and cuddling until we both fall asleep.