𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙣𝙞𝙣𝙚.

─☼☼☼─
"𝙁𝙄𝙑𝙀 𝙆𝙄𝙇𝘿𝘼𝙍𝙀 𝙏𝙀𝙀𝙉𝙎 who went missing nearly six weeks ago are now reported alive, safe, and back on Kildare Island."

Charlotte chewed on the inside of her cheek as a the newscast played on her phone, a picture of her appearing on the screen. It was her high school graduation picture...back when she was actually happy.

"Now a live update from the sheriff's department."

Pulling out one of her AirPods, Charlotte disregarded the rest of the news report, not really caring to see it.

She wasn't sure if the coverage meant less people gawking at her, or more. She really hoped it wasn't the latter.

As she fretted over the attention she so desperately wanted to avoid, a text popped up on her screen.

Charlotte bit back a laugh, deeming it inappropriate in the current setting she was in to break out into laughter. Instead, she forced her lips together, quickly typing a response.

rafe: can't believe I'm in love with the girl who just made the news. talk about dating up.

lottie: don't worry babe. you can be my plus one to every red carpet <3

lottie: and if you're EXTRA nice, I'll even give you an autograph

rafe: fuck you're too good to me

Neither of them acknowledged the fact that he was the reasons she was on the news. That he was the reason she had been declared missing.

"Charlotte?"

Her head shot up, locking her phone as if she had been doing something wrong. Maybe she had been by talking to Rafe.

A woman, likely only ten or so years older than Charlotte, was watching her with a warm smile.

"That's me." Charlotte answered, clearing her throat as she gathered her purse before standing up.

"I'm Dr. Wallis." The woman greeted, extending her hand once Charlotte was close enough. 

Charlotte accepted her handshake, giving her a small smile, "Nice to meet you."

"Likewise." Dr. Wallis nodded, stepping back to allow Charlotte entry to her office. "Come on in and have a seat."

Stepping inside her office, Charlotte's eyes danced around the room. It was sophisticated...put together. But it was too beige for her liking. She knew it was supposed to be calming, but somehow it had the opposite effect on Charlotte. 

Dr. Wallis sat in the chair opposite Charlotte, her eyes scanning the pile of paperwork that Charlotte had filled out prior. A sense of nervousness, maybe embarrassment, flooded the Carrera girl as she thought about how she jad answered some of the questions. They were heavy questions, to which she had heavy answers. 

But part of her hated the idea of someone getting to know her deepest thoughts. Charlotte had always been good about keeping to herself, suffering in silence, solving her own problems. Therapy had never been her idea, and she didn't know if it ever would be. 

"So, Charlotte," Dr. Wallis began, setting the paperwork aside. "Tell me a little bit about you."

The question was straightforward enough, but for some reason Charlotte didn't even know where to start.