Chapter 4: Trust

Ms. Olsen walks into the room and stops when she sees me. She looks surprised and asks, "Ms. Aiden, what are you doing here?" Still in shock, I stutter out, "It's not what it looks like, really." Ms. Olsen then says, "Then why are you here?" I take a moment, collecting my thoughts, and reply, "It's a long story." She grabs a chair and sits opposite me, saying, "I like long stories." I hesitate, wondering if I should share, and finally say, "Are you sure? It's really personal." She reassures me, "Don't worry, Ms. Aiden. I'm sure there's a good reason. And besides, no one is here anyway, you can trust me." Feeling a sense of trust, I nod and proceed to tell her what happened earlier in the day, about the abusive relationship I had with Kyle. I explain how he would slap me, yell at me, and betray my trust by constantly lying and cheating. Ms. Olsen's eyes widen in shock as she exclaims, "Oh my god, I had no idea. That is so awful. I'm really sorry." She reaches out and takes my hand, squeezing it gently. My heart races, and I can feel myself blushing. Grateful for her empathy, I say, "Thank you for listening, Ms. Olsen. I really appreciate it." A tear rolls down my cheek, and I can see genuine concern in her eyes. She whispers, "It's okay, you can trust me, Valerie." I look at her, surprised that she used my name. "If anything like this ever happens again, please let me know. After all, he isn't even a student here," she assures me. I smile and say, "Thank you." Ms. Olsen responds, "No problem, it's the least I can do," and smiles back at me with her big green eyes. Then she suggests, "You know what, you can leave earlier, but don't tell anyone." I express my gratitude and leave the lecture hall. Leaning against the door, my heart is racing faster than ever. As I walk home, Harper calls me, but I decide not to answer. I need some time to process everything that just happened.

I head back home and find myself famished, so I quickly whip up something to eat. After satisfying my hunger, I decide to indulge in some reading time. But before I know it, I wake up startled by the blaring sound of my alarm clock, realizing that I had dozed off while engrossed in my book.

Since my first lecture doesn't begin until 12 pm, I make plans to swing by Harper's place before heading to campus. Luckily, she lives just a short 7-minute walk away from me. I fill her in on my encounter with Kyle, but I choose not to mention Ms. Olsen for now. "Dudeee, he's such a prick," she remarks with frustration. "Yeah, he's really weird. We should get going, though. My lecture is starting soon," I respond, aware that time is ticking away. Together, we set off towards campus. We stroll through the bustling corridors of the campus, my eyes scanning the surroundings in the hopes of catching sight of Ms. Olsen. However, there is no sign of her amidst the throng of students. Reluctantly, I bid Harper goodbye, and we part ways, each heading to our lecture halls.

After the final lecture wraps up, I find myself craving the familiar ambiance of the off-campus coffee shop. Determined to indulge in my usual treat, I make my way there. Stepping inside, I place my order for a latte with a hint of cinnamon. Settling down at a secluded table in the back, I take a moment to absorb the atmosphere.Suddenly, a familiar sound catches my attention—heels clicking against the floor. My heart skips a beat as I look up, hoping it might be Ms. Olsen. But to my disappointment, she doesn't seem to notice me, as I deliberately chose a seat away from the main view. I discreetly overhear her placing an order, and my surprise grows when I realize she has asked for the exact same coffee as mine.Before I can gather the courage to approach her, she collects her order and departs, seemingly unaware of my presence. Frustration and regret wash over me for not seizing the opportunity. I sit at the table for a few more minutes, contemplating the situation, before deciding it's time to head home.As I leave the coffee shop, a mix of disappointment and determination fills my thoughts. I can't help but wonder about the missed chance to reconnect with Ms. Olsen.

I'm back home now, ready to get some university work done. But I can't seem to focus because my mind is filled with thoughts of my hot professor. I can't wait to see her again in our English lit class on Friday. I miss her voice, even though I heard it just an hour ago. Time feels like it's moving so slowly as I eagerly await our next meeting, longing to be in her presence once more.