Chapter 9

In two days, I'm going on the trip, and I can't stop thinking about it. Today, I decided not to go to university because I'm really tired from dealing with my mom's issues. Since I don't have Ms. Olsen's class today, I clear my mind by going to the gym, which is pretty empty in the morning. After a good workout, I go shopping for new clothes and some cute outfits for the trip. I forgot to tell Harper that I'm not coming, but it actually works out well because she's happy talking to the guy who asked her out. Back home, I pack my bags, check my checklist, and make myself something to eat because I'm really hungry. Then, I read the book I recently bought and eventually fall asleep.

—————————————————————————

Today is finally the day of our trip, and oh boy, I'm so excited! We're flying to Florida, and Harper and I decide to take a taxi to the airport together. As we arrive, we spot some of our classmates already waiting there. We greet them with a smile, but we don't see Ms. Olsen yet. Then, out of a sleek black car, she emerges, looking stunning as ever. My heart skips a beat as she walks towards us, carrying her bags with a smile that brightens up the entire airport. We have about two hours until our flight, so we all wait together, chatting and sharing our excitement. Harper starts telling me all about her guy, Ryan, and how amazing he is. But honestly, I can't focus on the conversation because my eyes keep drifting towards Ms. Olsen. Harper playfully catches me staring and laughs, teasing me about it. "Stop, dude, she's gorgeous," I admit, unable to hide my admiration. Harper agrees, adding that Ryan is also quite good-looking. Just as I turn to look at Ms. Olsen again, she's already looking back at me, and we exchange smiles. My heart flutters, but then Ryan approaches and asks Harper if they want to grab some coffee and chat. I nod in support, and Harper leaves, leaving me alone since I don't have any other friends in this class. Deciding to pass the time, I take out my book and start reading while listening to music. Unexpectedly, someone gently takes one of my earbuds out—it's Ms. Olsen. "Can I?" she asks, and I'm taken aback but manage to nod in agreement. She puts the earbud in her ear, and the song "Call it Fate, Call it Karma" by The Strokes fills her ears. I catch her eyes lighting up, and it makes me smile even more. "Oh my god, this song is beautiful," she remarks. "It really is," I reply, my heart racing at our shared moment. Curious about my book, she asks what I'm reading. "The Stranger, by Albert Camus," I answer. "I've heard of him," she replies, showing genuine interest. From there, our conversation flows effortlessly, covering various random topics. Despite the simplicity of the talk, we both seem to thoroughly enjoy each other's company.

—————————————————————————

After our 3-hour flight, we finally arrive at our destination. The hotel looks even better in real life than I expected. Each of us has our own room, and luckily, Harper's room is right next to mine. Ms. Olsen's room is just three doors away from mine. I unpack my bags and organize everything in my room. Excitedly, I open the window and step out onto the balcony, where I'm greeted with a breathtaking view of the ocean. We all received an email with a detailed plan for our trip, including visits to museums and scheduled breakfast times. As I take in the view from the balcony, there's a knock on my door. I open it to find Harper standing there. "Dude, the hotel is so fancy," she exclaims. "I know, right? No wonder it was so expensive," I reply with a grin. As we chat, Harper brings up Ryan. "You and Ryan are getting closer, huh?" I ask with a playful smirk. Harper laughs and boldly replies, "I totally plan to fuck him here." "Go girl!" I encourage her. She then teases me, saying, "You should also try to make a move on your lady." I chuckle and respond, "Yeah, right, Harper."
Feeling hungry, Harper suggests, "Let's go to the restaurant here. I'm starving." "Sounds like a plan," I say, and we head to the restaurant together, eager to enjoy a delicious meal in this beautiful place.