Chapter 6

I'm home now, and I'm unsure if I should change my clothes because Ms. Olsen already saw me today. Oh God, what should I do? I decide not to change and head to the coffee shop. As I walk there, I can hear my heart pounding. When I arrive, she isn't there yet, so I order two lattes with cinnamon since she enjoys the same coffee. I sit down at a table and wait anxiously. Finally, Ms. Olsen walks in, and I wave to get her attention. She comes over and sits down. „Hey! Oh, I see you already ordered. What did you get" she says with a smile. Instead of answering, I simply wink at her. She looks surprised but doesn't say anything about it. „So, any news about Kyle? Did he bother you again?" she asks me. Is that why she wanted to talk to me, just because of Kyle. „Oh, no, he didn't. Fortunately, he doesn't know where I live because I moved after we broke up" I explain. „Okay, that's good" she says and writes her number on a tissue. „Call me anytime if he bothers you again, I'll be there" she assures me. I'm taken aback and say, „Thank you, but I don't want to be a burden" She then reaches out and holds my hand, saying, „You're not a burden" She looks at me seriously, and my heart skips a beat. Her eyes are so captivating. I smile at her, and she releases my hand. „Don't you have any other classes today, miss?" I ask. „No, thankfully. I would usually have a meeting, but it's been canceled" she reveals. „Thats great" I reply. She then takes something out of her backpack. Oh my goodness, I can't believe my eyes. It's the fucking book. The lesbian smut book. The one I told her was about animals. „Sooo" she teases. I look at her wide-eyed, my face turning red. „It's a really interesting book about animals" she says. „God, I am so sorry" I stammer. „Don't be sorry. In fact, I should thank you. I love that book" Ms. Olsen admits. I'm at a loss for words. Suddenly, her phone rings, and she says, „I'm so sorry, but I have to go." Genuine regret is evident in her eyes. She quickly gathers her belongings and rushes off. What was that all about? On one hand, I feel relieved, but on the other hand, a sense of sadness washes over me. Ruby. That's the name that appeared on her phone. I wonder who that could be. I shouldn't pry into her personal matters, but I genuinely hope she's okay because she seemed stressed.

I can't believe it—I actually have her number. She gave it to me willingly. I pay for the coffee and leave the shop. Thoughts of Ms. Olsen fill my mind as I walk home. I want to tell Harper about what happened, but she's still in a lecture. Suddenly, my phone rings. It's my mother. "Hey, Valerie," she says. "What?" I reply, still mad at her. "Don't talk to me like that," she admonishes. "After what you've done, no thank you," I snap back. "Come visit me this weekend," my mother insists. "No," I refuse. "Young lady, I'm paying for your university, so you better come, or there will be consequences," she says angrily. "Fine," I reluctantly agree and hang up. Since Dad passed away and she got that awful boyfriend, my mother has changed. I really don't want to visit her this weekend, but I have to. I decide to focus on schoolwork for the rest of the day and eventually fall asleep.

It's the next morning, and I start packing. I don't need much since I'll only be there today and tomorrow. I put my things in the car and start driving. The journey to my mother's place takes about five hours. Eventually, I arrive, and I'm faced with the house I grew up in. It brings back unpleasant memories every time I look at it. I knock on the door, and my mom opens it, saying, "There you are, sweetheart." She's acting as if she didn't force me to come here, but I already want to leave. I walk inside the house and see Hank, her not-so-pleasant boyfriend. He looks at me but doesn't bother saying hello, so I don't say anything either. I head upstairs to my room and lie down. This house just reminds me of how much I miss my dad. I wish he were here.