Chapter One: Miami

Thursday PM

"C'mon, you can do this..." you repeat to yourself, taking a deep breath and mentally preparing to take a step off of the plane.

The warm, cloying air hit you immediately, Miami was exactly as hot as you had remembered, even at 7 o'clock in the evening. When you'd been offered the role of Director of Communications of the Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula 1 team you had expected to travel but spending your first day on the job in Miami had come somewhat as a surprise. HR had given you the choice, fly out to Miami a few days before the inaugural Miami Grand Prix or hold off and start on the following Monday. You always liked a challenge so thought that the former route would be a good baptism by fire. They had promptly sent you a work laptop and phone so you had been able to get up to speed with every project that was currently underway.

You moved through the airport quickly, arriving at baggage claim in record time. You couldn't help but smile at the huge Formula 1 billboards scattered around the airport. You were joining one hell of a money-making operation and a large part of your new role would be securing the funds to keep the team at the leading edge. Brokering deals between sponsors and the team was a key part of the business and it would be your job to ensure everyone was happy.

Exiting baggage claim you spotted a smartly dressed man holding a board up with your name written across it.

"Hi, I think you're here for me," you say as you approach him.

"Good evening ma'am, nice to meet you. My name is Carlos and I will be your driver throughout your stay here in Miami. Please allow me to take those." He gestures towards your two rather large Rimowa suitcases.

"Lovely to meet you, Carlos. That's so kind of you, thank you very much." you blush as it does seem like a lot of luggage for a four-day trip. HR had warned you of the possibility that you may need to travel straight to Barcelona after Miami and to pack enough to last a few weeks so you'd taken your trusty suitcases and packed them to the brim.

You followed Carlos as he cut through the throng of people, leading you to the parking garage to a rather glossy Mercedes S-Class. He opened the door for you and made quick work of putting the suitcases in the trunk as you ducked into the back seat.

"I know this shouldn't come as a surprise but what an incredible car!" you exclaim, sinking back into the luxurious cream leather seats.

"Only the best for the best team." Carlos winked as he backed out of the parking space.

You chatted away to Carlos as he sped along the twisting overpasses that exited the airport. He was a Miami native and full of travel tips and places to visit during your short stay. As you gazed out the window you took it all in. Miami was a strange place, a clash of cultures with glossy high-rise condos on one side and down-to-earth bodegas set behind. You'd visited a few times before and knew which side you preferred. You hoped to be able to escape the built-up areas for a little post-race fun.

As you pulled up to your hotel it sunk in. You had one night to compose yourself and then would meet the team tomorrow morning, ahead of qualifying. Having worked in motorsport for quite some years, working your way up from a Marketing Assistant to Comms Director you were more than familiar with racing but Formula 1 was a different kettle of fish. Fortunately, you had a fair amount of knowledge to draw upon as your father was an avid follower of the sport and you'd grown up watching stars such as Alonso and Raikonnen battle it out on track. It was surreal to think that Alonso was still racing to this day.

Check-in was breezy and you found your room easily with the help of a very friendly bellhop. Your hotel room was simple but luxurious with a large cloud-like bed, marble tub, and floor-to-ceiling windows with a breathtaking view out across the harbour. There was no point in unpacking your suitcases but you took out a few of the outfits you had planned for the next few days.